Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've edited the following text in terms of capitalization, punctuation marks, and italics:

In My Family and Other Animals, Gerald Durrell, a world-renowned zoologist, gives a laugh-packed account of two years he and his family spent on the Greek island of Corfu. In a series of vividly-written sketches, he brings each family member to life so that the reader comes to know Larry, Margo, Leslie, Mother, and young Gerry as individuals with lifelike traits and interests. Throughout the three hundred pages, the reader meets a number of the Greek islanders, including Spiro, a pro-British taxi driver who befriends the family in never-to-be-forgotten ways, and the rose-beetle man, who sells a number of hard-to-resist items such as small tortoises and rose beetles.

Is there anything I didn't notice?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The punctuation looks good to me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would be capitalised only if it were written that way by the author. I've never read the book so I don't know if he capitalised it.

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It would be capitalised only if it were written that way by the author. I've never read the book so I don't know if he capitalised it.
Actually, it's an exercise in my school workbook: The students are supposed to read the text and edit it. It's originally written as Rose-beetle Man and the teacher's guide hasn't changed it in the answers section. However, I don't trust the teacher's guide as the whole textbook is written/compiled by non-native speakers, and that's why I decided to edit the text myself.

Last edited:

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just realized vividly-written doesn't need a hyphen.

I would hyphenate it as a compound adjective. It wouldn't be hyphenated if it were "In a series of sketches which are vividly written ...". However, adverbs as part of compound adjectives aren't always hyphenated. Words which are adjectives as well as adverbs, like "well", are always hyphenated to avoid confusion.
It's a well-written book. :tick:
It's a well written book. :cross:

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
However, adverbs as part of compound adjectives aren't always hyphenated.
And it's one of those cases.

Compounds ending in '-ly', such as "smartly dressed," are not hyphenated either before or after a noun.
Source: Never hyphenate an "-ly" adverb - Hypercorrections: Are You Making These 6 Common Mistakes? | Merriam-Webster

And here's an example from Oxford Dictionaries:
a beautifully illustrated book

Words which are adjectives as well as adverbs, like "well", are always hyphenated to avoid confusion.
Yes, if they're written before the noun, but:
The problems caused by cars on the congested roads of Britain are well known.
Source: Oxford Dictionaries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.