Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The speaker says "children don’t get as infected" rather than simply "children don’t getinfected." With the use of "as" here, I guess he means "children don’t get as infected as the way adults do." Am I correct? Some nuance here appears to be elusive.

========================
Other scientists argue against a rushed return to classrooms. They say the incidence of infection in children is lower than in adults partly because they haven’t been exposed to the virus as much — especially with many schools closed. And children are not getting tested as often as adults, because they tend to have mild or no symptoms, the researchers say.

“I do not see any strong biological or epidemiological reason to believe that children don’t get as infected,” says Gary Wong, a researcher in paediatric respiratory medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. “As long as there is community transmission in the adult population, reopening of schools will likely facilitate transmission, as respiratory viruses are known to circulate in schools and day cares.” He says good surveillance and testing systems should be in place before schools reopen.

from Nature Magzine
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01354-0

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Infection is infection. Either you have the virus or you don't. Also, many people (both children and adults) have the virus but show no symptoms.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why doesnt the speaker simply say "children don’t get infected"? Why use "as" there?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not a mind reader. I don't know why he says children don't get as infected as adults. Maybe he means they might contract the virus but not show any symptoms. (That is true of many adults too.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What he means is simply that the incidence of infection is lower in children. (Well, actually, he's saying there's no reason to believe that.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not completely clear, but I think he means "I do not see any strong reason to believe that children don’t get infected at the same rate as adults."

Status
Not open for further replies.