Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
The last figure, post graduate degree, climbing (climbed) from 80% to 85%.

I am describing a chart in the past, I am confused whether I should use "climbed" , "climbing" or add " it climbed".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The last figure, postgraduate degree, climbing (climbed) from 80% to 85%.

I am describing a chart in the past, I am confused whether I should use "climbed" , "climbing" or add " it climbed".
I'd use "climbs". Even if you looked at it in the past, the chart probably still exists and shows the same information.
"Climbing" and "it climbed" definitely don't work there.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Let's look at those possibilities.
The last figure, postgraduate degree, climbed from 80% to 85%.
That's grammatical. It uses the past simple tense.

The last figure, post graduate degree, climbing from 80% to 85%.
That's incorrect. To make it grammatical, we would need "is climbing". However, the present continuous does not make sense in this context.
Note that the following, for example, is possible:
The situation changed the following year, the last figure, postgraduate degrees, climbing from 80% to 85%.
In this example, "changed" is the main verb of that sentence, and the underlined part is a participle clause (it just adds extra information/explanation, and can be omitted without affecting the grammar of the sentence).

The last figure, post graduate degree, it climbed from 80% to 85%.
That's wrong, because the sentence already has a subject "the last figure".

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Let's look at those possibilities.

That's grammatical. It uses the past simple tense.

That's incorrect. To make it grammatical, we would need "is climbing". However, the present continuous does not make sense in this context.
Note that the following, for example, is possible:
The situation changed the following year, the last figure, postgraduate degrees, climbing from 80% to 85%.
In this example, "changed" is the main verb of that sentence, and the underlined part is a participle clause (it just adds extra information/explanation, and can be omitted without affecting the grammar of the sentence).

That's wrong, because the sentence already has a subject "the last figure".
Thank you for your clear explanation. I can't thank you enough.

Could you please correct these sentences?

1-The problem was solved by the customer service, however, the same problem ,rising again by a few subscribers .
2-The percentage of people immigrated to seek jobs was 23% , dropping to 22% in 2007.

In three and four, I used a conjunction and a semicolon.

3-In immigration figure, people who immigrated to accompany their family was 30% , but jumping to 35% in the following year.
4-People who emigrated for specified jobs accounted for 14%; dropping to 6% in the immigration figure.
5- Being immigrated, I have a hectic schedule this week, running errands and doing chors until my family come over.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. The problem was solved by the customer service staff. However, the same problem, rising again by a few subscribers.
Note my corrections above. In order to use "the" before "customer service", you need to add "staff","desk" or "personnel". If you want to use just "customer services", you need to remove the article before it.
The entire underlined part makes no sense at all. You're going to have to try and explain it in a different way.
Take more care with your spacing around punctuation.
2. In [year], the percentage of people who immigrated to seek jobs a job was 23%, dropping to 22% in 2007.
Take more care with your spacing around punctuation.
In three and four, I have used a conjunction and a semicolon.

3. In immigration figure, In [year], the percentage of people who immigrated to accompany their family was 30%, but jumping this jumped to 35% in the following year.
Note my changes above.
4. People who emigrated for specified specific jobs accounted for 14%, dropping to but only 6% in the immigration figure.
A semi-colon doesn't work there.
For info, I would probably italicise "emigrated" and "immigration" in that sentence to make sure the reader knows that you want them to note the difference in percentage between those two different group.
5. Being immigrated, I have a hectic schedule this week, running errands and doing chores until my family comes over.
I have no idea what the opening two words mean. Are you trying to say "Because I am an immigrant, ..."? If so, that's the wording you should use but the rest of sentence makes no sense after it. Being an immigrant doesn't mean you're any busier than a non-immigrant.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you so much for your correction and contribution. I am really grateful to you and other teachers. I am sorry for taking up your time.

In [year], the percentage of people who immigrated to seek jobs a job was 23%, dropping to 22% in 2007.

When describing a chart in which people are looking for jobs or accompaning their families. I have noticed that you changed the form from plural to singular. Could you please elaborate?

In [year], the percentage of people who immigrated to accompany their family (was) 30%, but jumping this jumped to 35% in the following year..

May I ask ( if you please) why can't I use "jumping" or "rising" because the word in parentheses " was" is the main verb as teacher @teechar explained in post 3.

4. People who emigrated for specific jobs accounted for 14%, dropping to but only 6% in the immigration figure

I don't know which is the main verb in this sentence, "emigrated" or "accounted". I guess it is "accounted." I don't know why the present participle is not possible in the example sentence I gave.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without any mention of timescales or years etc, the charts don't show percentages rising or falling over time. They simply compare the percentages of people immigrating and emigrating and, within those parameters, the reasons that they did that.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've already told you twice that there is nothing that is falling or rising. Looking at the charts you posted in another thread, it's clear there's just one year (2007). Both pie charts give data for the same single year.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Could you please correct these sentences?

1-The problem was solved by the customer service, however, the same problem ,rising again by a few subscribers .
The first thing I'd like you to learn here is the correct punctuation around "however". You should use a full stop before it and a comma after it. If you do that with the above, then "rising" is obviously wrong. I suspect you meant "arose". If so, then you can say "arose with a few subscribers".
2-The percentage of people who immigrated to seek jobs was 23% , dropping to 22% in 2007.
We need "who" here because:
This is a combination of:
"People immigrated to seek jobs" + "the percentage of those people was 23%".

In three and four, I used a conjunction and a semicolon.
3-In immigration figure,
That part is unnatural (wrong).
people who immigrated to accompany their family was 30% ,
people are not a percentage (number)! So this is also wrong.
but jumping to 35% in the following year.
We don't use participle clauses like that. I can make similar comments about the remaining two sentences, but there is no point for now. I strongly advise you to cement your grasp of basic grammar first. Write clear, concise and straightforward sentences. This is perfectly adequate for task 1 practice. Afterwards, you can try writing more complex sentences.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you for your contribution. @teechar. I am really sorry for taking up your time. 🙏
The first thing I'd like you to learn here is the correct punctuation around "however". You should use a full stop before it and a comma after it. If you do that with the above, then "rising" is obviously wrong. I suspect you meant "arose". If so, then you can say "arose with a few subscribers".

I am puzzled between using "present participle", "past participle" and using the former with conjunction when connecting two sentences.

That is right we "however" can be used in the middle of the sentence like ,however, or a full stop and a comma after it. To be clear, I don't know should I use the present participle or past participle.in IELTS exam, I am required to write variety of sentence structures. Writing simple structures will make me stuck in Band 6 in writing. These examples sentences are different than the pie charts I had posted.

1.The percentage of people who immigrated to the UK was 30%, two years later, the same percentage fluctuateed, rising from 45% to 58 between 2009 and 2012. I don't know if rose is correct.

2.The number of Mexican students who applied to American university was 12336 in 2002, climbed, to 23234 three years later. I don't know if climbing is correct.

With conjunction, should I use the present participle or past participle?

3. In 1999, the consumption of pizza in France was significantly higher than soft drinks at 25%, but dropping to 13% the following year. I don't know if I should say ",but it dropped to".

Thank you again. I really appreciate your contribution.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1.The percentage of people who immigrated to the UK was 30%. Two years later, the same percentage that figure fluctuated, rising from 45% to 58 between 2009 and 2012.
That's okay, but see the corrections above. In particular, you had a comma splice error in the middle (that comma between "30%" and "two years" was wrong). Note that the present participle "rising" is correct. It is explanatory (adds extra information).
I don't know if "rose" is correct.
No, it would not be correct. See above.
2.The number of Mexican students who applied to American universities was 12,336 in 2002, and climbed to 23,234 three years later.
See corrections.
I don't know if "climbing is correct.
Grammatically, it might appear okay, but it would not make sense a lot of sense (logically) because "climbing" would not work well as explanatory (or even extra information) after the definitive "was 12,336".

With conjunction, should I use the present participle or past participle?

3. In 1999, the consumption of pizza in France was significantly higher than soft drinks at 25%, but dropping to 13% the following year. I don't know if I should say ",but it dropped to".
Only "it dropped to" is correct.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you so much. I am deeply indebted to you. I am really sorry to bother you. @teechar

That's okay, but see the corrections above. In particular, you had a comma splice error in the middle (that comma between "30%" and "two years" was wrong). Note that the present participle "rising" is correct. It is explanatory (adds extra information).
I am familiar with using present participle to add extra information about the noun.

The man dancing in the garden is my brother. I could also say, "the man who is dancing in the garden is my brother."

Sometimes the present participle is interrupted without comma as in the following examples.

To save your time teacher, I wrote the sentence from the graph. I attached the graph with its description highlighted.

1-For woman, the trajectory was less consistent rising sharply in the first decade and then tapering off to an almost identical level to that of men in 1990s.

I am confused between in the above sentence. I wonder why "rising" not "rose" and "tapered off" not "tapering off."

In 1999, the consumption of pizza in France was significantly higher than soft drinks at 25%, but dropping to 13% the following year.

You mentioned that this sentence is wrong and I should replace "but it dropped" with ", but dropping"

"Was" is the main verb ,I believe, the present participle "dropping" add information about the consumption percentage (13%)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026-004847.png
    Screenshot_20231026-004847.png
    463.3 KB · Views: 2

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1-For women, the trajectory was less consistent, rising sharply in the first decade and then tapering off to an almost identical level to that of men in 1990s.

Good. But notice I added a comma before the participle phrase. The comma is important.

I am confused between in the above sentence. I wonder why "rising" not "rose" and "tapered off" not "tapering off."

You have to use an -ing verb form in such present participle phrases.

You mentioned that this sentence is wrong and I should replace "but it dropped" with ", but dropping"

"Was" is the main verb ,I believe, the present participle "dropping" add information about the consumption percentage (13%)

The problem in your sentence was the word but. If you use but, you have to follow with a regular clause (but it dropped). If you remove but, then dropping is correct.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Also,
Sometimes the present participle is interrupted without comma as in the following examples.
1-For woman, the trajectory was less consistent, rising sharply in the first decade and then tapering off to an almost identical level to that of men in 1990s.
That comma I inserted in red is needed. It sets off the participle clause.