Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Colleagues called Gina stingy because she never went out, watched every penny, and bought her clothes only on sales, but had they known about her past they would be thinking differently. Gina's parents were careless with money and ran up large debts on their credit cards, which they then struggled to pay back. When she was young she never knew where her next meal was coming from, and she hated her parents because of their behaviour. After she landed her first job, Gina promised to use only a debit card and never borrow money for anything. She didn't care that people laughed at her and called her all kinds of names. What mattered was that whenever she went to bed she knew what she was going to eat next day, and on what things she was going to spend her hard-earned money.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Colleagues called Gina stingy because she never went out, watched every penny, and bought her clothes only on sales, but had they known about her past they would be thinking differently. Gina's parents were careless with money and ran up large debts on their credit cards, which they then struggled to pay back. When she was young she never knew where her next meal was coming from [ That doesn't fit with the her parents spending a lot of money] , and she hated her parents because of their behaviour. After she landed her first job, Gina promised to use only a debit card and never borrow money for anything. She didn't care that people laughed at her and called her all kinds of names. What mattered was that whenever she went to bed she knew what she was going to eat next day, and on what things she was going to spend her hard-earned money.

I've highlighted in blue where you need to make changes. Also read my comment in the middle.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Her colleagues called Gina stingy ....

And:

They ran up large debts which they struggled to repay.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Gina swore she would never use a credit card, and she never did. She always had money in the bank and lived debt-free.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would this version be OK?

Colleagues called Gina stingy because she never went out, watched every penny, and bought her clothes only on sales, but had they known about her past, they would have thought differently. Gina's parents were careless with money and ran up large debts on their credit cards, which they struggled to pay back. When she was young, she hated them because they were spending money on jewellery, watches, cars and luxury trips, while Gina and her siblings were left at home to fend for themselves. After she landed her first job, Gina vowed to use only a debit card and never borrow money for anything. She didn't care that people laughed at her and called her all kinds of names. What mattered was that whenever she want to bed, she knew what she was going to eat next day, and on what things she was going to spend her hard-earned money.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whose colleagues called her stingy?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Do I really need to add "her"? Wouldn't a reader understand that it was her colleagues without adding "her"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Her parents got over their heads in debt, but Gina vowed not to live that way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do I really need to add "her"? Wouldn't a reader understand that it was her colleagues without adding "her"?

Do what you wish. But I would expect:

Her colleagues
Her friends
Her parents

and so forth.

However, it's up to you.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
"Be over your head in debt" is AmE. I believe the British use a different expression.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
they were spending money on jewellery, watches, cars and luxury trips, while Gina and her siblings were left at home to fend for themselves.
That still doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.