Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi, could anyone help me explain the grammar used in some words underlined in the picture?
I don't understand how past-tense verbs can start a sentence.

z4697222626839_3cbe4941375d49a7bdd8bb4586c85106.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Compared with parenting, ...

This is a participle phrase. The verb compared is in the third (past participle) form.

I suggest you forget about this particular example, since it's not used correctly.

Here's a better example:

Compared with Vietnamese, French is an easy language for a native English speaker to learn.

This means that for an English person, French is easier to learn than Vietnamese. The sentence is making a comparison.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@Huy888, please note that I've changed your thread title. Titles should contain some or all of the words or phrases you are asking about. :cool:

Huy888

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Compared with parenting, ...

This is a participle phrase. The verb compared is in the third (past participle) form.

I suggest you forget about this particular example, since it's not used correctly.

Here's a better example:

Compared with Vietnamese, French is an easy language for a native English speaker to learn.

This means that for an English person, French is easier to learn than Vietnamese. The sentence is making a comparison.

I got it. I think the writer used grammatically for this sentence because he/she tries to compare parenting children with schooling children.