Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers, for the bold, are they all correct?
And for the red, should I use 'the competition' to refer to the bold, or say the bold again? Thanks in advance.

In the past when there was not much competition in the business world/competition among businesses/competition between businesses, most companies only required their employees to work eight hours a day, which meant they still had plenty of time left for themselves after work. However, now competition among businesses/the competition is becoming more and more stiff, and thus many employees are asked/expected to work harder and longer hours to help their employers survive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Did you write those sentences yourself?

If so, in what context?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Did you write those sentences yourself?

If so, in what context?
Yes, I wrote them myself. Those sentences are the whole context. I was trying to illustrate working for others doesn't allow much work-life balance.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers, for the bold, are they all correct?

Yes.

And for the red, should I use 'the competition' to refer to the bold, or say the bold again?

Either is fine.

Thanks [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE].

In the past when there was not much competition in the business world/competition among businesses/competition between businesses, [space] most companies only required their employees to work eight hours a day, which meant they still had plenty of time left for themselves after work. However, now [space] competition among businesses/the competition [space] is becoming more and more stiff, and thus many employees are asked/expected to work harder and longer hours to help their employers survive.
All the options you've suggested are fine.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, Charlie. If I use companies, should I use 'them' to refer to the companies?
In the past when there was not much competition among companies, most of them only required their employees to work eight hours a day.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks, Charlie. If I use "companies", should I use 'them' to refer to the companies?
In the past when there was not much competition among companies, most of them only required their employees to work eight hours a day.

Yes, that is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.