Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm a little comfused about complement and adverbial.
In the sentence: I painted the door green, "green" is a complement, or an object complement to be exact.
In sentences like: He left the city, disappointed.
He died young.
Are "disappointed" and "young" subject complements (because they are both used to further describe "He"), or is it an adverbial like the word "interested" in the following sentence: Greatly interested, he asked me how to use the device?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In your "green" sentence, you could call "green" an object complement. Others would call it it a resultative adjective. It describes the result of the action of the verb.

In your other two sentences, the modifiers are adjectives, not adverbs. Even "interested" is an adjective. Some might call them subject complements. I would not. The word complement doesn't provide much information.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In your "green" sentence, you could call "green" an object complement. Others would call it it a resultative adjective. It describes the result of the action of the verb.

In your other two sentences, the modifiers are adjectives, not adverbs. Even "interested" is an adjective. Some might call them subject complements. I would not. The word complement doesn't provide much information.
If they are not called complements, what are they called? Do you mean that adverbial does not include adjectives?
Another sentence: Believing that he was right, he didn't take others' advice. Is "believing that he was right" here an adverbial?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If they are not called complements, they are called adjectives. An adjective is one of the standard parts of speech. A complement is not. Yes, adjectives are not adverbials. Adjectives modify nouns and pronouns. Adverbs (adverbials) modify adjectives, adverbs, and verbs. They are completely different. An adverb is also one of the standard parts of speech.

In your last sentence, the participial phrase that begins the sentence is adjectival; it modifies the the pronoun "he".

Status
Not open for further replies.