Is this a subject complement or adverbial?

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is this grammar question:
"Some people stand by ___________ and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment.
a. committed
b. non-committed
c. non-committally
d. non-committal"
Which answer is the correct one? I'd go for the option d and see it as a subject complement, describing the bystanders. But I'm not sure if the other answers are also possible. Please help.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Did you take the test? if so, who gave you the test? If not, where did you find the test? Why don't you have the answer?

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Did you take the test? if so, who gave you the test? If not, where did you find the test? Why don't you have the answer?
Yes, I took the test. My teacher gave me the test. I got the answer, but I think it's wrong. That's why I'm asking for a native speaker's explanation.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The answer is c.

'stand by' is a verb, which needs an adverb modifier. Only 'non-committally' can do this, and it describes the way in which they are standing by.

I see what you're saying about using an adjective as subject complement, but it doesn't work here.

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The answer is c.

'stand by' is a verb, which needs an adverb modifier. Only 'non-committally' can do this, and it describes the way in which they are standing by.

I see what you're saying about using an adjective as subject complement, but it doesn't work here.
That's basically what my teacher told us. But I find striking parallels between the test item and the following sentences, which are example sentences of subject complements shown in a grammar book.
  • She arrived exhausted.
  • He came back hungry and thirsty.
  • The dog returned happy and wagging its tail.
  • They entered the room surprised to see the decorations.
  • She ran out excited to meet her friend.
  • He drove by feeling tired and achy.
  • The swimmers emerged from the water cold and shivering.
  • She stumbled in, injured and bleeding.
  • They walked out, satisfied and full.
Aren't they similar cases?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. In each case the adjective describes the subject. She was exhausted. He was hungry and thirsty. The dog was happy. They were surprised. He was tired and achy. The swimmers were cold and shivering. She was injured and bleeding. They were satisfied and full

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. In each case the adjective describes the subject. She was exhausted. He was hungry and thirsty. The dog was happy. They were surprised. He was tired and achy. The swimmers were cold and shivering. She was injured and bleeding. They were satisfied and full
Then doesn't "Some people are noncommittal and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment." make sense?

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can you The answer is c.

That's exactly what's puzzling me. It sounds perfect to me to say "Some people are noncommittal and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment." Then why can't I say "Some people stand by noncommittal and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because you need an adverb in that position. You could say "Some non-committal people stand by..."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's exactly what's puzzling me. It sounds perfect to me to say "Some people are noncommittal and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment." Then why can't I say "Some people stand by noncommittal and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment"?

Yes, I understand what you're saying, and what you say makes some sense, grammatically.

However, this sentence calls for an adverb.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then doesn't "Some people are noncommittal and observe their neighbors’ perils with cold detachment." make sense?
Grammatically, yes. Otherwise, no. They observe their neighbors' perils with cold detachment because they are apathetic or lack empathy.

Last edited:

eeshu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, I understand what you're saying, and what you say makes some sense, grammatically.

However, this sentence calls for an adverb.
OK, I see. Perhaps that's the quirky part of natural languages.