Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is "compromising nearly all the boys" the misspelling of "comprising nearly all the boys"?

======================
 Biography. The He-Man Woman-Haters Club was a neighborhood boys club founded by Spanky and compromising nearly all the boys in the club. Spanky founded the exclusive club as a defense against girls and Valentine's Day, but Alfalfa's heart was just not in it. His love for Darla keeps him from taking it seriously, but Spanky soon forces him to realize the bonds of brotherhood.

Source: [h=2]He-Man Woman-Haters Club[/h]

Is "compromising nearly all the boys" [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a misspelling of "comprising nearly all the boys"?
It appears so. That's not the only error in the sentence.

I thought "compromising" is possible in the sense that they boys had to make compromises (relationship with the opposite sex?) to join the club.

I thought "compromising" is possible in the sense that they boys had to make compromises (relationship with the opposite sex?) to join the club.
It just wouldn't make sense. Mind you, "comprising nearly all the boys in the club" also doesn't make sense. How can a club consist of "nearly all of" its own male members?

It just wouldn't make sense. Mind you, "comprising nearly all the boys in the club" also doesn't make sense. How can a club consist of "nearly all of" its own male members?

Quite. That would suggest that there are two clubs. But what's the other club?

It is very possible that the final instance of the word club was intended to be a completely different word, like neighbourhood .

It is very possible that the final instance of the word club was intended to be a completely different word, like neighbourhood .
I'm sure that's what the writer was aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back