Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

I have a confusion, actually i read 2 sentences, 1) we sent you the information in order to make sure that you recieved it in time, 2) He spent all day in room lest he disturbes anyone, are both the sentences correct or not, if not, why?, if yes, why?, and if we are talking about past, then how would we know when we have to use past verb in the continuation like in 1 sentence(recieved), is there any special condition, or does it have anything to do with that.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Sentence 1) would be better if it started with a capital letter and if "received" were spelled correctly.
It would probably be an improvement if you simplified it. "We sent you the information so that you would receive it in time."

Sentence 2) should be, "He spent all day in the/his room lest he disturb anyone" Lest is followed by the subjunctive.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not a teacher.

Sentence 1) would be better if it started with a capital letter and if "received" were spelled correctly.
It would probably be an improvement if you simplified it. "We sent you the information so that you would receive it in time."

Sentence 2) should be, "He spent all day in the/his room lest he disturb anyone" Lest is followed by the subjunctive.

So, why don't we say lest he disturbed anyone, i think it should be in past, and please also tell whether past tense has anything to do with that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So, why don't we say lest he disturbed anyone, i think it should be in past, and please also tell whether past tense has anything to do with that.
I have closed this thread since you continue to ignore our requests to use a capital letter for the pronoun 'I', and to attempt to break up your message into reasonable sentences. Any future posts in which you continue to ignore our requests will be deleted. There is no point in our trying to help you if you make no effort to improve your English.

Status
Not open for further replies.