Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi,
I would like to ask about the use and implication of "contend that + clause" in essays, specifically IELTS. It seems to me that "contend" is used less frequently than "argue", "claim" (not to mention other overused words like believe, say...). Maybe I'm wrong?

If it is appropriate to use "contend", should I use it to express personal opinions ("I contend") or other people's ones before rebuttal ("Some people contend that")?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Contend" is fine either way. I'd be more likely to use it when discussing opposing points of view: the Administration contends that the Earth is flat despite scientists' universal acceptance of the spherical-earth theory.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just remember that contend/argue/claim all have different senses and different uses so the best choice will depend on the idea you want to express.

tvu732

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Contend" is fine either way. I'd be more likely to use it when discussing opposing points of view: the Administration contends that the Earth is flat despite scientists' universal acceptance of the spherical-earth theory.
As far as I know, "argue" and "claim" are often used to discuss the opposing view as well, so what's the difference between them?
Based on your example, it seems that "contend" is more like "insist", i.e. hold fast to a certain thought/idea although it is not popular or has no evidence. Is that what it implies?

tvu732

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Just remember that contend/argue/claim all have different senses and different uses so the best choice will depend on the idea you want to express.
Would you clarify the different senses?

Status
Not open for further replies.