Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I am setting up the new business called "Vege-Rasta"
Vege - as it's going to be a vegan blog
Rasta - as I have dreadlocks and love reggae.

What would be the correct spelling of "vege-rasta"? I thought that the word "vege" should be pronounced as in the word "vegetarian", but the friend of mine said it should be said as in the word "veggie". I don't think this is right.

Please advise.

Dominica

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'correct'. The word 'veggie' reflects the fact that in the word 'vegetable' (and indeed 'vegetarian') the second 'e' has the sound /ɪ/. I think Vege-rasta would be fine as a name, but the first part would be pronounced /veʤɪ/.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The problem is that as part of the word "vegetable", "vege" is pronounced "veje" but when you just write "vege" on its own, it sounds more like "veg" (rhymes with "meg").

Additionally, if I saw "Vege-Rasta", I would assume you were vegetarian, not vegan.

I don't dislike the blog name at all. I actually like it quite a lot. I'm just not sure it says what you want it to. I take it you don't want "Vegan-Rasta" because it doesn't sound as if it could be a word in its own right.

Also, is it a business or a blog you're setting up? You suggested both in post #1.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Why don't you invert it?

Rasta-vegan.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I like "vegerastian" but it still suggests vegetarian, not vegan. That difference is very important (particularly to vegans!)

sajgonka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
The problem is that as part of the word "vegetable", "vege" is pronounced "veje" but when you just write "vege" on its own, it sounds more like "veg" (rhymes with "meg").

Additionally, if I saw "Vege-Rasta", I would assume you were vegetarian, not vegan.

I don't dislike the blog name at all. I actually like it quite a lot. I'm just not sure it says what you want it to. I take it you don't want "Vegan-Rasta" because it doesn't sound as if it could be a word in its own right.

Also, is it a business or a blog you're setting up? You suggested both in post #1.

Well, I'm going to start with a blog (where I'll post my recipes daily) and Youtube, where I also want to do vblog daily.
It will be a business as well, as I want to promote some of the products I personally use. I am also looking to launch an online shop in February/March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.