Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no objection [strike]in[/strike] to [STRIKE]replying[/STRIKE] explaining why I [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] chose the title [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] that is responsible for these snarky remarks from [STRIKE]either[/STRIKE] both sides.

[STRIKE]First[/STRIKE] Originally, I [STRIKE]tried[/STRIKE] was going to ask something else but later I changed the question and forgot to change the title. That was all.

It was [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] a [STRIKE]tempest[/STRIKE] storm in a [STRIKE]teapot[/STRIKE] teacup.

P.S. I have a great respect for all the scholarly [STRIKE]persons[/STRIKE] people here.

It would have been a lot easier for everyone if you'd just given us that information when 5jj first asked you the question. However, bear in mind that "Correction" isn't a suitable title for any thread, regardless of the content. All titles must be unique, relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

Nasir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thanks for your correction.

Will you please explain what was wrong with tempest in a teapot?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Will you please explain what was wrong with tempest in a teapot?
I wondered the same thing, but then realized that "tempest in a teapot" is American and "storm in a teacup" is British. Your original idiom is therefore preferable when you're talking to Americans like me, and vice versa. For the record, I agree with all of emsr2d2's other corrections, including dropping "like" before the idiom.

(I don't think emsr2d2 was trying to switch you over to BrE. Rather, they were probably just unfamiliar with the AmE version.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm familiar with a lot of AmE versions of BrE words but I didn't know that particular idiom was so different in AmE.

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
I've always characterized American changes to grammar and spelling as simplifying the language, which from my perspective is positive. But here's a clear example where the American version of something is harder to understand. We essentially never use the word "tempest" outside of this idiom. The alliteration is cute, though.

I'd be interested in other cases where the AmE version of something is harder for learners.

Nasir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
We, the Asian, follow British grammar but some times its okay with American. We are quite familiar with the word 'tempest'. Yes it sounds sweet, tempest in a teapot. To me the word 'tempest' is more British than American.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]We, the Asian,[/STRIKE] In Asia, we usually follow British grammar but sometimes [STRIKE]its okay with[/STRIKE] American grammar and terms are used. We are quite familiar with the word 'tempest'. [STRIKE]Yes it sounds sweet[/STRIKE] "Tempest in a teapot" sounds sweet. To me, the word 'tempest' is more British than American.

Please note my corrections above.

I'm sure that speakers of all variants are familiar with the word "tempest". In BrE, it's rarely used except in the title of the Shakespeare play "The Tempest". We use the associated adjective a bit more frequently. For example, we refer to people having a "tempestuous relationship".

Status
Not open for further replies.