Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Cousins can be male or female. It is not normal for anyone to be named "Cousin" like someone would be named Joe or Sue.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both males and females can have the surname Cousins.

It is not used as a forename.

My cousins are the male or female offspring of the siblings of my parents.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think I've ever heard "forename." First name or given name. I was asked my "Christian name" on a form in Germany once.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think I've ever heard "forename." First name or given name. I was asked my "Christian name" on a form in Germany once.

We used to use "Christian name" in the UK until the political correctness police found out and it was deemed inappropriate and offensive to other religions, so we went over to "forename" (on official forms) and "first name" in normal speech.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
We used to use "Christian name" in the UK until the political correctness police found out and it was deemed inappropriate and offensive to other religions, so we went over to "forename" (on official forms) and "first name" in normal speech.

That's how it should be. I am not a Christian and I don't have a "Christian name".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's how it should be. I am not a Christian and I don't have a "Christian name".

I agree with the logic but I have never met anyone of any religion who actually found the term "offensive". That is a word which is bandied around far too much these days when all that is meant is "they don't like it". As an atheist, I agree that I don't consider my first name to be my Christian name, but I'm not offended or affronted by the term.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a baby, I was baptised with my name by a minister of the Church of Scotland. That's what made it my Christian Name, and it always will be.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a baby, I was baptised with my name by a minister of the Church of Scotland. That's what made it my Christian Name, and it always will be.

I don't know about Scotland, but if you fill in an official form in England, you will not see that term on any paperwork, only "forename".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with the logic but I have never met anyone of any religion who actually found the term "offensive". That is a word which is bandied around far too much these days when all that is meant is "they don't like it". As an atheist, I agree that I don't consider my first name to be my Christian name, but I'm not offended or affronted by the term.

I agree with you; I am not a big fan of political correctness. But in our now global society, the label "Christian name" is no longer logical. In addition to "forename" there is "given name" as an alternative.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We seem to be straying from the point... I'm happy to move a thread on "Christian names" or "political correctness" to the Discussion forum, though :)

While names in the US get weirder and weirder all the time, "Cousins" is still not one I've seen as a first/given/forename.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Perhaps sb70012 will let us know if he/she has actually encountered anybody whose first name is 'Cousins'.

If not, what prompted the original question?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We seem to be straying from the point... I'm happy to move a thread on "Christian names" or "political correctness" to the Discussion forum, though :)
Good Point. I wasn't sure where to split this thread, so I merely copied the 'Christian name' posts and started a new thread here:Christian names and political correctness If any of ypu wish to continue this line, that will be the place. Can we please stick to 'cousins' in this thread? Thanks

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Perhaps sb70012 will let us know if he/she has actually encountered anybody whose first name is 'Cousins'.

If not, what prompted the original question?
You know why I asked the question? Because the word Cousins is used in my book in a way that I thought it's a male name.
Look at the exercise:

Direct = Cousins’s doctor said, “We’ve tried everything possible to cure his illness.”
Indirect = Cousins’s doctor said that they had tried everything possible to cure his illness.

Direct = Cousins thought, “I’ve been cured.”
Indirect = Cousins thought that he had been cured.

Direct = Cousins said, “Don’t lose hope when a doctor says survival is impossible.”
Indirect = Cousins said not to lose hope when a doctor says survival is impossible.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Given name" and "Family name" solve the problem of which name appears first in a language. "First name, last name" doesn't work, and "forename" by itself is not much better.
By the way, 5jj's definition of cousin applies to "first cousins" only. That's how it's normally used. But occasionally a 'cousin' is a second cousin, or a distant cousin. We are all cousins if you go back far enough.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You know why I asked the question? Because the word Cousins is used in my book in a way that I thought it's a male name.
Look at the exercise:

Direct = Cousins’s doctor said, “We’ve tried everything possible to cure his illness.”
Indirect = Cousins’s doctor said that they had tried everything possible to cure his illness.

Direct = Cousins thought, “I’ve been cured.”
Indirect = Cousins thought that he had been cured.

Direct = Cousins said, “Don’t lose hope when a doctor says survival is impossible.”
Indirect = Cousins said not to lose hope when a doctor says survival is impossible.

In that context, I would have to assume that it is "Mr Cousins". We know he is male because it goes on to say "his illness". In the first two sentences, I would omit the final "s" from "Cousins's" and just put "Cousins' doctor said ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.