Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear all,

In terms of what I have seen in the supermarket, crackers are salty and biscuits are sweet. May I clarify it as it affects my writing.

Many thanks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A biscuit is a different thing in British and American English. Be sure to use the right word for the dialect you're writing in.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I clarify it as it affects my writing.

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Ju:

As it affects your writing, I wanted to bring something to your attention.

I read the link carefully, but to the best of my knowledge, it did not mention something very important: The delicious "biscuits" shown in the link are called cookies in the United States.

In this country, a "biscuit" is a "small round cake of bread." It is neither salty nor sweet. One may add butter/margarine or jam/jelly. American biscuits are often eaten with ham and eggs, a traditional American breakfast.

You may wish to go to the "images" section of Google and type in "American biscuits." There are many excellent illustrations. (I do not know how to link. Sorry.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this country, a "biscuit" is a "small round cake of bread." It is neither salty nor sweet. One may add butter/margarine or jam/jelly.

In the UK, that's a scone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
American biscuits are often eaten with ham and eggs, a traditional American breakfast.

That would certainly not work in the UK! Biscuits are sweet. People eat ham and eggs on toast, on crumpets or on muffins (the savoury kind, not the sweet kind).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A popular breakfast in my neck of the woods is biscuits and gravy. To make biscuits, you add fat to flour, and bake it. To make gravy, you add flour to fat, and simmer it. I've left out a few minor details but that covers the essentials.
piceRB3F1.jpg

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In terms of what I have seen in the supermarket, crackers are salty and biscuits are sweet. May I clarify it as it affects my writing.

This would work in a British supermarket, where we don't eat biscuits and gravy.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the UK, that's a scone.

A scone in the US is a slightly sweetened (AmE) biscuit, usually triangular in shape. They're not as sweet as a muffin, nor as moist, but they usually are slightly sweet, whereas a biscuit almost never is (unless you're using it as a shortbread for a fruit-based dessert.)

Now the whole 'should cornbread be sweet' debate is an entirely separate argument that's raged for a hundred years or more. :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A biscuit is a different thing in British and American English. Be sure to use the right word for the dialect you're writing in.

I am in need of teaching here. Long ago when I was in England a Brit asked me "Are cookies biscuits or cakes?" So I get that "cookies" is an AmE term. But I thought we all understood the meaning of biscuit. What is the dialect difference?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am in need of teaching here. Long ago when I was in England a Brit asked me "Are cookies biscuits or cakes?" So I get that "cookies" is an AmE term. But I thought we all understood the meaning of biscuit. What is the dialect difference?

An American biscuit is a round, thin, bland, flaky, fatty, soda-raised bread eaten with sausage gravy or butter and jam. A British biscuit is what Americans call a cookie; a small, bite-sized, crunchy or chewy cake made with flour, sugar, fat, and sometimes eggs, and flavored with chocolate, vanilla, ginger, fruit, or other flavorings.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Biscuits are crunchy and cakes are soft. Both are generally sweet. There are a few grey areas, but the more you need teeth to eat it, the more likely the Brits are to call it a biscuit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And then there's the famous "Is a Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit?" controversy, raging in the UK for years, caused by the fact that VAT is payable on biscuits but not on cakes. The case went to court and McVities (the manufacturer) won its claim that it's a cake so no VAT is payable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes

Status
Not open for further replies.