Creativity and fear of failures whilst speaking foreign language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Here is my draft of my 2 weeks program how to increase creativity and decrease fear of failures whilst speaking a foreign language (in this case in English).

I need to someone to proofread this and fix the grammar errors, spelling etc.
Please feel free to rewrite this and share your point of views how I will improve my written English skills. I really need to put the effort of learning written English. :roll:

What did I learn while living in London for 8 months as foreign language speaker?
First of all, most important thing what I learned was that - most vital way to speak any language is CONFIDENCE.
If you have studied a foreign language (as well as any other subjects) in the school, you have learned MISTAKES are a bad thing, and you only get a reward when you have done something RIGHT! The teacher doesn't praise you about your TRYING, they demand you to be a PERFECT! What will that make to our subconscious mind? It makes us be afraid of FAILS, that's why we are too scared of even trying.
In London, I met many foreigners whose speaks very bad English, but it didn't hinder them because they weren't so afraid of making mistakes. They didn't concentrate about that what others thought about them, only thing what matters for them was can others to understand what they do want to say. I was opposite, I didn't concentrate about that will I be understandable, I aim my focus to HOW to say things RIGHT. Guess what, I didn't do many mistakes on English speaking while I was in London, because I talked very little only because of my scariness of mistakes. Perfectionism is the worst enemy of creativity, and creativity is very important aspect what comes to learn languages! By the time to time, you will forget the word what you need to use, so you need to use your creativity to tell that same thing with different words.

Please, do me a favour and try to do next easy practice daily to next two weeks to increase your creativity to speak a foreign language and post your experience in comments.

Point on some object (for example a fork) and try to call that with a different object's name as soon as possible. Spoon or knife, or even plate are not acceptable, too near on the same topic, and any of K-letter beginning word as well (like the kite) is unacceptable as well. It should be a totally different object to call the name of, for example, a doll. Try to be as creative as possible. Do this practice for 5-10 minutes a day of pointing objects calling with different names. You will see in the beginning it will be very hard, but at 3 to 4 practice day, it will become so much easier.

And the second practice to do is just talk at least 10 minutes per day and record that. What to speak? Answer: ANYTHING! It doesn't matter at all. Just chitchat. Talk BS about anything. Keep your audio diary. Not filter yourself at all. You do this only for YOURSELF, you are not going to publish this. Your only focus is to just talk and talk and talk. Try to be just in the voice. Do this also for two weeks. After two weeks, compare your first and last audio, do you see any difference? If you see, don't hesitate to share your story in the comment section. It helped me, so it would help you :)

More language learning tips are coming. Stay tuned.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, here is a saying for you to learn.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Now for the corrections/suggestions.

Here is my draft of of my two-week program for increasing productivity and decreasing the fear of failure while speaking a foreign language (in this case, English).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I need someone to proofread this and fix the grammar errors, spelling, etc.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now for your essay text. First paragraph. Say:

What did I learn while living in London for eight months as a foreign language speaker?

And:

First of all, the most important thing I learned was that the most important thing in learning any language is confidence.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

If you have studied a foreign language (as well as any other subject) at school you have learned that mistakes are bad things, and you only get a reward when you have done something right.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

The teachers don't praise you for trying. Instead, they expect you to be perfect.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

What does that do to us? It makes us afraid to fail. That's why we are too scared to even try.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First Paragraph. Say:

In London I met many foreigners who spoke very bad English, but it didn't hinder them, because they weren't afraid to make mistakes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

They didn't focus on what others thought about them. The only thing that mattered to them was that others could understand what they were saying. I was the opposite. I didn't focus on being understood. I focused on saying things the right way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

Guess what? I didn't make many mistakes in spoken English while I was in London because I spoke very little, because I was afraid to make mistakes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

Perfectionim is the biggest enemy of creativity, and creativity is very important when it comes to learning languages. From time to time you will forget what word you need to use. So you need to use your creativity to say the same thing with different words.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Say:

Please do me a favour and try the following easy exercise for two weeks to increase your creativity in speaking a foreign language and comment about your experiences.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Point at some object (a fork, for example), and call that object by a different object's name.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Say:

"Spoon" or "knife" or "plate" are unacceptable as they are in the same general category of objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.