Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[A change log]
GsS3yEL.jpg

---
But I looked up the word "credit" and found this similar example sentence:

All the credit must go to the play's talented director.

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/credit

So, is the use correct in that log? I mean, should it be "All the credit to ..."?

[Update] I just found a discussion.

Last edited:
"Credit" means praise or special attention, which is uncountable. I prefer the singular form.
"All the credit" is written to give emphasis that the credit is meant solely for one person. I don't think it makes much difference.

"Credit" means praise or special attention, which is uncountable. I prefer the singular form.
I think that an uncountable noun has no plural form. So if "credit" is uncountable here, it has to be singular. :)

I think that an uncountable noun has no plural form. So if "credit" is uncountable here, it has to be singular. :)
That's not necessarily true. Compliments and congratulations are uncountable too but are more commonly used in the plural form.

Okay, congratulations comes in the plural form. How about compliment/praise/applause/commendation?

Okay, congratulations comes in the plural form. How about compliment/praise/applause/commendation?
Here they are:

compliment
tUNbj5Q.jpg

praise
Hs8wLQu.jpg

applause
Znj77YN.jpg

commendation
Znj77YN.jpg

How about "Thanks"?
Let's not complicate things.

In that sense of "thanks", I think "credit" is more likely than "credits".

It doesn't seem particularly good to me to use the plural form instead of the singular form there. I get the impression that this kind of pluralisation may be a relatively new tendency that's becoming more and more common. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back