Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello! I just want to ask if it's correct to use the word 'cringe' as an adjective because I've been seeing a lot of people on the internet who use this word as an andjective.

I'd say no. Could you give us a link to an example you've seen?

Hello! I just want to ask if it's correct to use the word 'cringe' as an adjective because I've been seeing a lot of people on the internet who use this word as an adjective.
Please provide a link to an example. I've never seen it.

(Cross-posted with Piscean)

I'll wait for the example as well, but if it's similar to what I'm expecting to see, then I'd say yes. I've seen and heard examples of it used as such, and you'll see it listed as informal as an adjective in several dictionaries.

We still need to see an example though to verify how it's being used.

I've heard it hundreds of times. It is commonly used in colloquial speech as an adjective, yes,

That's so cringe!

But "cringy" already exists.

I'd say no. Could you give us a link to an example you've seen?
Unfortunately, I cannot provide a link as most of the instances wherein I've seen the word cringe being used as an adjective were either on FB or in a video game I play online. However, I can give you an example. When I do something in a video game such as taunting my opponent or dancing whenever I get a kill, my opponent would type "that's cringe" in frustration. And today, I actually argued with someone who typed "you're cinge". In response to this, I said that's not an adjective, thats a verb, but he insisted it's correct.

I think cringe is following in the footsteps of fun. By that I mean that long ago when I was young fun was only a noun and we said such fun. Now that fun has become an adjective people say so fun. Similarly cringe has rather recently become an adjective, though arguably only in slang.

It's evolving. Avoid it in formal writing.

I'm showing my age again. 😢
Ditto. I've used "That's cringe-inducing!" and possibly "That's cringy", and even "Oh my god! Cringe!" (in which "cringe" is a shortened form of something like "That made me cringe") but never "cringe" as an adjective.

This slang term is listed as an adjective here ("causing embarrassment or resulting in awkward discomfort; cringeworthy; cringey: Her attempt to rap at the talent show was so very cringe.").

Back