Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have recently come across a sentence which was asked in a competitive exam under the heading Error-detection.
1 What is your date of birth ?
I have read the solved paper in a book which says that it should be
2 What is the date of birth of yours?
I want to know why cannot I use pronoun your with date of birth ? Why is the first sentence wrong?
Important point is that in competitive exams,we have to follow the standard rules.We cannot use modern usage?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have recently come across a sentence which was asked in a competitive exam under the heading Error-detection.
1 What is your date of birth ?
I have read the solved paper in a book which says that it should be
2 What is the date of birth of yours?
I want to know why cannot I use pronoun your with date of birth ? Why is the first sentence wrong?
Important point is that in competitive exams,we have to follow the standard rules.We cannot use modern usage?
#1 is correct. #2 makes no sense regardless of when it may have been written. What do you mean by "modern usage"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first sentence is correct. The second is wrong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Which exam is this? I have never heard the second in BrE and two AmE speakers here feel it's wrong. It may be in use in Indian English, but I cannot see any reason for marking your answer wrong- the majority of English speakers would use it. I see no good argument for saying that a regional variant is correct, if that is what it is, and an internationally standard form is incorrect. The second may be OK in India, but the first is fine in most of the English-speaking world, other than this exam.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which exam is this? I have never heard the second in BrE and two AmE speakers here feel it's wrong. It may be in use in Indian English, but I cannot see any reason for marking your answer wrong- the majority of English speakers would use it. I see no good argument for saying that a regional variant is correct, if that is what it is, and an internationally standard form is incorrect. The second may be OK in India, but the first is fine in most of the English-speaking world, other than this exam.

I don't think it's correct in Indian English.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Where were you born? I was born in 1999? Do they make sense?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

No, I don’t. Because I have more questions than answers.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Where Were You Born, Obama?

What controversy? Anyone who relies solely on MSM outlets (and most conservative outlets) may not even know that Obama has, to this day, not authorized the state of Hawaii to release his Certificate of Live Birth -- the "long form" -- to prove that he is a "natural born citizen" (NBC), a Constitutional requirement of all presidents.
More: http://townhall.com/columnists/dianawest/2008/12/12/where_were_you_born,_obama/page/full/

Where being used for place of birth. Excellent! When you write I must listen to you, Chicken Sandwich. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.