Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
00:01-00:07 - [
]

1. David you got through first. What does it mean there in the immediate context?

2. uh Patricia in Loughton. Clarkson's rant was hateful okay. As simple as that uh. This comes from Rebecca Jeremy Clarkson should be....I do understand that Nick Ferrari mentions Rebecca in respect of her comment on Jeremy Clarkson. But why did Nick mention Patricia (from Loughton)? In respect of what comment?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without the bit leading up to it, I think "David, you got through first" means that David was the first caller to successfully get through to the studio (and presumably he goes on to talk to David at some point).

For the rest:
Patricia in Loughton has texted/emailed in the comment "Clarkson's rant was hateful. As simple as that".
Rebecca has texted/emailed in the comment "Jeremy Clarkson should be ...".

He gives the name of the person who sent the message, followed by their message.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Without the bit leading up to it, I think "David, you got through first" means that David was the first caller to successfully get through to the studio (and presumably he goes on to talk to David at some point).

For the rest:
Patricia in Loughton has texted/emailed in the comment "Clarkson's rant was hateful. As simple as that".
Rebecca has texted/emailed in the comment "Jeremy Clarkson should be ...".

He gives the name of the person who sent the message, followed by their message.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does it mean that both Rebecca and Patricia criticize Jeremy?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does it mean that both Rebecca and Patricia criticize Jeremy?
Patricia's comment is certainly critical. I have no idea if Rebecca's was because you chose to transcribe just the start of her message. Please tell us what the rest of the sentence starting "Jeremy Clarkson should be ..." is.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She says that Clarkson should be ashamed of himself, so she is critical.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Patricia's comment is certainly critical. I have no idea if Rebecca's was because you chose to transcribe just the start of her message. Please tell us what the rest of the sentence starting "Jeremy Clarkson should be ..." is.
00:17. What is the meaning of "be stating this beyong the pair"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why does Rebecca does think that Jeremy would be behaving like that? What is the key idea behind this?
I'm not sure what you're confused about. The basis of the story is that Jeremy Clarkson wrote an article in which he said he hated Meghan Markle. Some people agree with him. Some people don't. Some people think that it wouldn't have been so unpopular if he'd said it about a different member of the royal family. Any comment about Meghan Markle seems to divide the people who have any interest in the royals.

Status
Not open for further replies.