English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the meaning of 'daytime tel'?

It probably means 'daytime telephone number'. This is a phone number that should be used during those hours when people are typically working.

Please tell us where you saw it.

The book 'Oxford Word Skill' (basic), page 27, by Ruth Gairns and Stuart Redman

The topic is 'filling in the form'.

In that context, it refers to the telephone number that you would like to be contacted on during working hours.

So can it be a mobile phone number?

Yes, of course. Why couldn't it?

These days, it can be any number you like. Before mobile phones were common, usually your daytime telephone number was your work phone number and your evening number was your home (landline) number. Anyone who wasn't allowed to take personal calls at work, would either write "None" or "N/A" (not applicable) for the daytime number, and their home number for evening number. If they had an answerphone at home, they could write their home number in both sections.
I'm sure I'm not alone here in having just one phone number - my mobile. I would certainly never give out the phone number of where I work when filling in a form with my personal details.

That information should have been given in post #1.

That's interesting. In American English, we don't call a telephone number a tel. On a form, we usually say daytime phone.

It's not unusual to see the abbreviation Daytime tel. as a form label. It will usually be followed by a colon.

And American English speakers usually say 'filling out the form'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back