Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Exactly what it says. People have phones at work and at home. They also have cell phones. In the US, most adults work in the daytime. The person is asking for a work number.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
These days, it's more common to be asked for a phone number and an evening phone number. The thinking behind it is that you will be using your mobile during the day when you are out and about, whether at work or not, but you will probably be available on your landline number in the evenings when you're at home.

Like Piscean, I use only a mobile number. There is a landline at my property, which came as part of my TV/internet/phone package but I don't even have a phone connected to it anymore.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Exactly what it says. People have phones at work and at home. They also have cell phones. In the US, most adults work in the daytime. The person is asking for a work number.

They could also be doing other things outside the house like volunteering, etc.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not necessarily a work number. It is simply the number at which you can be reached during the day. I, who no longer go out to work, have only one phone number. I give this whatever number is asked for.
That's a good clarification. I give the same number for daytime and nighttime, too. Asking for daytime numbers gives people the option of providing a work number.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These days, it's more common to be asked for a phone number and an evening phone number. The thinking behind it is that you will be using your mobile during the day when you are out and about, whether at work or not, but you will probably be available on your landline number in the evenings when you're at home.

Like Piscean, I use only a mobile number. There is a landline at my property, which came as part of my TV/internet/phone package but I don't even have a phone connected to it anymore.
Yup. Around here, a lot of people don't have landlines anymore. They just have cells that they use everywhere, including home.

I think the British usually call cells mobiles.