Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am doing an internship at a law firm. I drafted a motion for my boss, who told me I needed to correct my apostrophes. Which is correct?
1. Defendant's, Jon Doe, Motion for Extension of Time
2. Defendant, Jon Doe's, Motion for Extension of Time

Thank you so much for your help!

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My language experience tells me it's the second, but I'd also remove the commas here.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second one correctly shows possession if you're including the name. The first would be okay if you didn't include the defendant's name.

Regardless, you have pervasive issues with capitalization and punctuation beyond the apostrophe.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Defendant's Motion for Extension of Time

Or

Defendant John Doe's Motion for Extension of Time

You're welcome.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can tell your boss there's nothing wrong with your use of apostrophes. It's your use of commas that's the problem!

I'll have to presume you have a reason to use capital letters though it's not obvious to me what it is. Is it a heading?

LawGirl305

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your insights. In the legal industry, it's traditional to capitalize "Defendant" and the title of the motion, such as "Motion for Extension of Time." Additionally, naming the defendant is crucial, especially in cases with multiple defendants. Given this context and based on your feedback, it seems "Defendant John Doe's Motion for Extension of Time" is the correct phrasing. This aligns with the suggestion Tarheel provided. Would you agree? I appreciate everyone's time and guidance.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not a lawyer, but long ago I earned my living doing tax consulting at Deloitte's, one of the big accounting firms. That required us to read and interpret both the income tax statute and the reasons for judgment in many tax cases. Bssed on that experience I share your opinion on phrasing and capitalization.