Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I believe it should be, deny Ukraine even more of its coastline and access to natural gas reserves...
He used "deny" the way "seize" would be used: seize even more of Ukraine's coastline...
Would you please confirm if I am correct?

He may be planning to go further though to ensure that this situation never happens again and push Russian territory all the way to at least some of the Dnieper river to simultaneously stabilize Crimea's geographic position by freeing up the water supply, deny even more of Ukraine's coastline and access to natural gas reserves, and set up a stronger potential defensive line against any attack from the West along the Dnieper river's banks.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If he is going to deny it to Ukraine he is going to have to take it for himself, so yes. To prevent them from being able to use it he is going to have to take it from them. It's two sides of the same coin.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You don't necessarily have to seize something to deny access to it, if Ukraine were to completely destroy the Kerch bridge, it would deny land access to Crimea to the Russians,

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I believe it should be, deny Ukraine even more of its coastline and access to natural gas reserves...
He used "deny" the way "seize" would be used: seize even more of Ukraine's coastline...
Would you please confirm if I am correct?
I agree. That would be a better way of phrasing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.