Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Teaching English writing through translation

How to proceed:
Provide an interesting and short text in Chinese and English so that students can fully understand the content of the text. Go through the details of the text in English version in class. Students can read the Chinese version on their own. After having students read out loud the text in the next couple of days in class, they will start doing their translations.

For the first attempt: Students need to translate the sentences of the text one by one into English in their minds while looking at the Chinese one. After one sentence translated, students need to look back to the English version to see what went wrong, and they need to write down the mistakes they made on a notebook. Also, ask students to revise the mistakes they made.

For the second attempt: Students need to translate the sentences of the text one by one into English on a piece of paper. After one sentence translated, students need to check what went wrong, and they need to write down the mistakes they made on a notebook. Ask students to revise the mistakes they made.

For the third attempt: Students need to translate the whole text into English on a piece of paper. After done, students need to check what went wrong, and they need to write down the mistakes they made on a notebook.
(All the attempts are carried out on separate days.)

Things I have learned from this teaching method:
Teaching methods always need to be revised to meet the needs of my students, so I have changed this teaching method over time, such as the times of the attempts, the instructions I carry out the attempts, and the time intervals between the attempts. I always ask my students to read out loud the text as many times as they can, but not to memorize it so that they do not feel the pressure to study the text. Also, there is no need to translate the text perfectly. In addition, such translation practice is of particular benefit to my students during the initial phase of learning English, as they gain familiarity with the most common structures of English more quickly and easily. All the grammar, and sentence structures students learn are learned subconsciously. During the translation, students make an effort to retrieve what they have read, and this process really helps them to retain what they have learned. Moreover, the ability to translate a short text gives students a feeling of accomplishment that encourages them to take risk to write simple sentences on their own. This method can help students develop and express ideas in English and reduce learning anxiety and enhance motivation to learn English. Also, it helps students correct their own mistakes, see gaps in their comprehension, and to think in English.

Dose it make sense?
I think my writing is a bit redundant.
Please help me make it more precise and concise, thanks in advance.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Teaching English writing through translation

How to proceed:
[line break]
Provide an interesting and short text in Chinese and English so that students can fully understand the content of the text. Go through the details of the text in the English version in class. Students can read the Chinese version on their own. After having students read out loud the text in the next couple of days in class, they will start doing their translations.

For the first attempt, students need to translate the sentences of the text one by one into English in their minds while looking at the Chinese one. After one sentence is translated, students need to look back to the English version to see what went wrong, and they need to write down the mistakes they made in a notebook. Ask students to revise the mistakes they made.

For the second attempt, students need to translate the sentences of the text one by one into English on a piece of paper. After one sentence translated, students need to check what went wrong, and they need to write down the mistakes they made in a notebook. Ask students to revise the mistakes they made.

For the third attempt, students need to translate the whole text into English on a piece of paper. After they're done, students need to check mistakes, and they need to write down the mistakes they made in a notebook.
(All the attempts are carried out on separate days.)

Things I have learned from this teaching method:
[line break]
Teaching methods always need to be revised to meet the needs of my students, so I have changed this teaching method over time, such as the times of the attempts, the instructions I give for the attempts, and the time intervals between the attempts. I always ask my students to read out loud the text as many times as they can, but not to memorize it so that they do not feel the pressure to study the text. Also, there is no need to translate the text perfectly. In addition, such translation practice is of particular benefit to my students during the initial phase of learning English, as they gain familiarity with the most common structures of English more quickly and easily. All the grammar [no comma] and sentence structures students learn are learned subconsciously. During the translation, students make an effort to retrieve what they have read, and this process really helps them to retain what they have learned. Moreover, the ability to translate a short text gives students a feeling of accomplishment that encourages them to try writing simple sentences on their own. This method can help students develop and express ideas in English, reduce learning anxiety, and enhance the motivation to learn English. Also, it helps students correct their own mistakes, see gaps in their comprehension, and [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] think in English.

Dose it make sense?

Yes.

I think my writing is a bit redundant.

I don't see repetition.

Please help me make it more precise and concise.
It is precise. To make it more concise, go back over it and look for unnecessary words. For instance, you use need to and attempts a lot.
T
hanks [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE].
It's good.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Theol, it looks like you have found the Thank and Like buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.