Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A few year ago, I bought some apples in a grocery store abroad. Some embarrassing things happened at that time. When I went to the cashier, she asked me to wait so I waited. After a moment, she kept asking me to wait but I'd already been waiting. What did she want me to do?! Then, she gave up, took the apples to the fruit section and weighted them. I finally understood she had been asking me to "weight"! I think I misheard her, and the whole sentence should be "you need to weight the apples".:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Use the verb "weigh"; "weight" is a noun. Fix your text and repost it below. Do not edit the OP. Also, the past tense of "understand" is "understood".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Sorry, I just edited it but this is my revised version:

A few year ago, I bought some apples in a grocery store abroad. Some embarrassing things happened at that time. When I went to the cashier, she asked me to wait so I waited. After a moment, she kept asking me to wait but I'd already been waiting. What did she want me to do?! Then, she gave up, took the apples to the fruit section and weighed them. I finally understood she had been asking me to "weigh"! I think I misheard her, and the whole sentence should be "you need to weigh the apples".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A few year ago, I bought (went to buy) some apples in a grocery store abroad. Some embarrassing things happened at that time. When I went to the cashier, she asked (told) me to wait, so I waited. After a moment while, she kept asking me to wait but I'd already been waiting. What did she want?! Then, she gave up, taking the apples to fruit section and weighted them. I finally understand understood that she had been asking me to "weight" the fruits! I think I misheard her. and the whole sentence should She meant, "you need to weight the apples".:ROFLMAO:
You got the verb "weigh" and the noun "weight" mixed up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am certain you can spot the error in "A few year ago".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
A few years ago, I bought some apples in a grocery store abroad. Some embarrassing things happened at that time. When I went to the cashier, she asked me to wait so I waited. After a moment, she kept asking me to wait but I'd already been waiting. What did she want me to do?! Then, she gave up, took the apples to the fruit section and weighed them. I finally understood she had been asking me to "weigh"! I think I misheard her, and the whole sentence should be "you need to weigh the apples".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A few years ago, I bought some apples in a grocery store abroad.
That is not wrong, but your focus should be on the fact that you were abroad, not on the buying of apples, so we need to change that sentence slightly:
A few years ago, I was in a grocery shop/store abroad, buying apples.
Some embarrassing things happened at that time.
You can even add the bit of information to the first sentence.
A few years ago, I was in a grocery shop/store abroad, buying apples, and a funny thing happened.
When I went to the cashier, she asked me to wait so I waited. After a moment, she kept asking me to wait but I'd already been waiting. What did she want me to do?! Then, she gave up, took the apples to the fruit section and weighed them. I finally understood she had been asking me to "weigh" the fruit!
Note that "weigh" is a transitive verb.
I think realized that I had misheard her. She was, in fact, saying "weigh it", not "wait". , and the whole sentence should be "you need to weigh the apples".
Since you mentioned "apples" (not "apples"), you can add:
"Of course, she should have said 'weigh them', and that would have avoided the misunderstanding". [ "them" is stressed]

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Personally, I am not fond of using “abroad” when I can be more specific in naming the countries I visited. To me, saying “A few years ago, I bought some apples in a grocery store in France (Spain, Wales, etc.)“ is much more interesting than using “abroad”. ;)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Personally, I am not fond of using “abroad” when I can be more specific in naming the countries I visited. To me, saying “A few years ago, I bought some apples in a grocery store in France (Spain, Wales, etc.)“ is much more interesting than using “abroad”. ;)
I don't remember which city or country. :ROFLMAO:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't remember which city or country. :ROFLMAO:
When I was in Europe, Asia, Africa… ;)

In the US, fruits and vegetables are usually weighed by the cashier during checkout.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When I was in Europe, Asia, Africa… ;)

In the US, fruits and vegetables are usually weighed by the cashier during checkout.
Right! It was in Europe.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whilst that is certainly still an option in the UK, most of the major supermarkets encourage shoppers to weigh and price up their own fruit and veg (using scales located in the fruit and veg section) to save time at the checkout. It makes the queues shorter because the cashier simply scans the barcode on each label the shopper has printed out from the electronic scales.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I had no idea you did so much traveling -- so much that you don't remember what country you were in when that happened. However, the clerk apparently spoke English; therefore I would guess you were visiting the UK.

Did you see Big Ben?
😊

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, the clerk apparently spoke English; therefore I would guess you were visiting the UK.
Perhaps Maybo was visiting Ireland! ;)

Maybo, I am curious. At what point in shopping for apples in a grocery store in Hong Kong are apples weighed? Are they weighed in the produce department or at the cashier when you checkout?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo I had no idea you did so much traveling -- so much that you don't remember what country you were in when that happened. However, the clerk apparently spoke English; therefore I would guess you were visiting the UK.

Did you see Big Ben?
😊
I only remember a few years ago, in December, I visited London, Copenhagen, Zurich and Berlin but I don’t remember which city I were in when that happened. 🙈

I saw Big Ben but it was being renovated at that time.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Perhaps Maybo was visiting Ireland! ;)

Maybo, I am curious. At what point in shopping for apples in a grocery store in Hong Kong are apples weighed? Are they weighed in the produce department or at the cashier when you checkout?
It depends. Some shops require customers to weigh the fruit on their own, while others require cashiers to do that. In recent years, most shops were the former ones.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I only remember that, a few years ago, in December, I visited London, Copenhagen, Zurich and Berlin but I don’t remember which city I were was in when that happened.