Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mother finally decided to buy a new washing machine because no one wanted to wash clothes by hand anymore. Yesterday, I went to an electrical equipment store with my mother. The staff member said she remembered me, and she asked me if I remembered her too. I'd never seen her before, and I hadn't been to the store for a year. After finishing buying the machine, she said she used to work at the restaurant opposite, and noticed that I only bought takeaways and never dined in. I was amazed by her skill of recognising people because during the pandemic, I've been wearing a mask and I haven't been to the restaurant for a year but she still remembers me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

My mother finally decided to buy a new washing machine because no one wanted to wash clothes by hand anymore. Yesterday, I went to an electrical equipment store with my mother. The staff member said she remembered me, and she asked me if I remembered her too. I'd never seen her before, and I hadn't been to the store for a year. After finishing buying we had bought the machine, she said she used to work at the restaurant opposite, and noticed that I only bought takeaways and never dined in. I was amazed by her skill of recognising people because during the pandemic, I've been wearing a mask and I haven't been to the restaurant for a year but she still remembers me.
That's good. Note my one main correction above.

When you say "a new washing machine", do you mean a replacement for a machine that had broken down, or that she had never had a washing machine before? If it's the former, your sentence is OK. If it's the latter, just say "My mother finally decided to buy a washing machine ...".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

My mother finally decided to buy a new washing machine because no one wanted to wash clothes by hand anymore. Yesterday, I went to an electrical equipment store with my mother. An employee said she remembered me, and she asked me if I remembered her too. I didn't recognize her, and I hadn't been to the store in a year. After finishing buying the machine, she said she used to work at the restaurant opposite, and noticed that I only bought takeaways and never dined in. I was amazed at her skill of recognising people because during the pandemic, I've been wearing a mask and I haven't been to the restaurant in a year, but she still remembers me.
I understand that you're referring to the pandemic in the present tense.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 The one they had broke down.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I hadn't been to the restaurant for a year" is absolutely fine in BrE.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 She mentioned it before (in a previous thread).

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After finishing buying the machine, she said she used to work at the restaurant opposite, and noticed that I only bought takeaways and never dined in.
In AmE we would say she used to work at the restaurant across the street.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In AmE we would say she used to work at the restaurant across the street.
The store and the restaurant are in the same shopping mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.