Diary - This afternoon, I learned how to write dates in Japanese.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

This afternoon, I learned how to write dates in Japanese. I thought I'd already learned Japanese numbers so I could count dates, but actually, there is another set of Japanese numbers for the dates. They also have a similar way of counting the dates to count objects. That's complicated for me because I need to memorise at least three different ways of pronouncing a number in different situations. Therefore, my teacher decided to ask me about the date and time at the beginning of every lesson to help me remember them.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I recommend changing "count dates" to "talk about dates". Why would you want to count dates anyhow? Why wouldn't you just eat them? 😊

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This afternoon, I learned how to write dates in Japanese. I thought I'd already learned Japanese numbers so I could count talk about dates, but actually, there is another set of Japanese numbers for the dates. They also have a similar way of counting the dates to count objects using a similar method to talking about dates. That's complicated for me because That means I need to memorise at least three different ways of pronouncing a number in different situations. Therefore, To help me practise, my teacher has decided to ask me about to say the date and time at the beginning of every lesson. to help me remember them.
Is it a different method (word?) for each situation or is it, as you suggested, purely a difference in pronunciation (of the same word)?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
For example,
General 8 = it is はち - (hachi)
Date: 8th = it is よう(8) か(th) - (yoka)
8 pieces = it is やっ(8) つ(piece) - (hyattsu)

The general numbers in Japanese are similar to how they speak hours and minutes in Japanese, only a few numbers' pronunciation changes, for example 9:09 (kyuu hours ku minutes).
However, they don't use the general way to talk about days and pieces (1-10). How they talk about dates in 1-10 is very similar to how they describe pieces (1-10), such as 1 piece, 2 pieces or 3pieces.
I'm not sure if they would write numbers in Japanese. If they don't, then the numbers are pronounced in different ways.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow! Japanese sure is complicated.
😊

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
For example,
Generally, 8 = it is はち - (hachi)
Date: 8th = it is よう(8) か(th) - (yoka)
8 pieces = it is やっ(8) つ(piece) - (hyattsu)

The general numbers in Japanese are similar to how they speak say hours and minutes in Japanese, with only a few numbers' pronunciation changes, for example, 9:09 (kyuu hours ku minutes).
However, they don't use the general way to talk about days and pieces (1-10). How they talk about say dates in 1-10 is very similar to how they describe count pieces of items (1-10), such as 1 piece, 2 pieces or 3pieces.
I'm not sure if they would write numbers in Japanese (Haven't you written them above?)
. If they don't, then the numbers are pronounced in different ways.
"Count dates" is a direct translation from Chinese.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm not sure if they would write numbers in Japanese (Haven't you written them above?)
I wrote them to learn their Japanese pronunciation. I'm not sure if they would use Japanese characters for numbers in their normal writings such as news or essays.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wrote them to learn their Japanese pronunciation. I'm not sure if they would use Japanese characters for numbers in their normal writings such as news or essays.
That's next on the agenda, huh?
😊