Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I opened my windows before I left home. When I came back, I saw one of the windows opened wide and some pieces of paper disappeared. They must be flown away. I was quite shocked at that moment because I marked some important notes on them. I will never put any paper near the windows again!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

open wide OR wide open

Say:

some pieces of paper had disappeared. They must have flown away.

Say:

I had written some important notes on them.

🙁

Maybe you could use a paperweight.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you opened the windows before you left, you can't have been surprised that one of them was open when you got back. I don't think you've emphasised the fact that that window was open wider than you had left it. Why don't you try to rewrite the second sentence and try to stress that fact?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo If you meant to say that one of the windows was open wider than the way you left it I missed that entirely. That interpretation does make sense, but you have to be smarter than me to figure it out.
😊

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I thought “open wide” meant something is opened to its limit.
‘When I came back, I saw one of the windows open to its limit and some pieces of paper disappeared.’

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, say it is open all the way when a window is open as far as it will go. Perhaps: The window was open all the way.

If a window is open wide it's open far enough so you can stick your head out or something like that, but it's not necessarily open all the way, although it could be.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, I opened [all] my windows before I left home. When I came back, I saw that one of the windows the window of my study/bedroom/kitchen/living room opened wide was open much wider than I had left it and some pieces of paper had disappeared from the room. They must be have flown away out the window. I was quite shocked at that moment really upset/angry because I marked they were some important notes. on them. I will never put any papers near the windows again!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Did you actually open your windows before you left home or you just left them open (or didn't bother/forgot to shut them). It sounds strange to me if you actually opened the windows just before when you left your house.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you actually open your windows before you left home or did you just left leave them open (or didn't bother/forgot to shut them)? It sounds strange to me if that you actually opened the windows just before when you left your house.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Did you actually open your windows before you left home or you just left them open (or didn't bother/forgot to shut them). It sounds strange to me if you actually opened the windows just before when you left your house.
I opened it intentionally because it was stuffy inside and I just left home for 15 minutes so I thought it was OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I opened it them intentionally because it was stuffy inside and I just left home was going out for only 15 minutes so I thought it was OK.