Diary - Today, my teacher discussed future technology with me.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, my teacher discussed future technology with me. She asked me what would happen if modern people went back in time and ancient people were transferred to the present time. I think ancient people would hurt themself easily because they might curious about everything they see and try to touch them. If modern people went back in time, they could still survive but might be treated as aliens. If they travelled back to many hundreds of years ago, they probably couldn't communicate with people there.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have to disagree with you. You didn't talk about future technology at all. What you talked about was time travel. In any case, unless she get all the talking I would use some form of "we" there.

Perhaps: "I think ancient people would hurt themselves easily because they might be curious about everything they see and want to touch everything."

I think either group would have similar problems. They would have difficulty surviving and they would find it very hard to communicate with those who belong there.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have to disagree with you. You didn't talk about future technology at all. What you talked about was time travel.
I found time travel interesting so I only picked that to write. Also I didn’t know much about science so we just discussed something that could happen in the future. There might be some technology will improve our life or environment. She also asked me what technology I’d like to have in future. Something like that.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Isn’t that time travel could be a technology? Something like time travel machine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was about to post a response asking why you'd said you were discussing future technology when you were actually discussing time travel. If you want to connect the two, open with something like "Earlier today/This morning/This afternoon, my teacher and I discussed the pros and cons of time travel, should the technology be available in the future".

Note my opening section. Almost all your "diary entries" open with "Today, my teacher discussed XXX with me". Previously, I've left them alone but I think you're at a point where you can start making changes so your pieces are more natural. Using "Today" isn't very clear. I've given three options above. Be a bit more specific. Also, instead of saying that someone discussed something with you, make it clear that it's more of a dialogue, by saying "My teacher and I discussed XXX".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn’t that time travel could be a technology? Something like time travel machine.
No. Time travel can't itself be a technology. To do it, however, would require technology that has far as we know doesn't exist except in people's imaginations.

Have you seen any Doctor Who episodes or read any science fiction stories about time travel?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Have you seen any Doctor Who episodes or read any science fiction stories about time travel?
Yes. They use time travel machines.

we know doesn't exist
As you said, they doesn't exist so our lesson weren't focusing on the theories, just about some imagination. I can only say 'the technology of time travel machine". I don't know how to describe the technology.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo The word "technology" is, in grammar terms, singular. That's why I used "doesn't" in that sentence. However, "they" always gets "do" or "don't".

Stories about time travel don't talk about the technology much. (How could they?)

Doctor Who has a TARDIS, which is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo The word "technology" is, in grammar terms, singular. That's why I used "doesn't" in that sentence. However, "they" always gets "do" or "don't".

Stories about time travel don't talk about the technology much. (How could they?)

Doctor Who has a TARDIS, which is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.
Isn't the technology in the drama fake? Did they really travel back in times? You just said the technology doesn't exist.:ROFLMAO:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Isn't the technology in the drama fake? Did they really travel back in times? You just said the technology doesn't exist.:ROFLMAO:
The technology in almost all science fiction is fake - hence the word "fiction"!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's all fake. The purpose is entertainment, not accuracy.

Of course, they don't really do any time traveling. It's entirely imaginary.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo They don't really travel back in time. (Not "times".) We can enjoy the stories even though we know they're not real.