Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Tonight, my mum and I had a grand dinner which she'd been looking forward to. I'd watched a few videos about dining etiquettes to prepare for that, but my worries seemed unnecessary because they changed our cutlery for every course.:ROFLMAO: The food wasn't impressive at all. To be honest, it was quite disappointed. Maybe it was because what we ordered wasn't their signature food?! One interesting thing I observed was that the chef are required to come out for every table to explain the ingredients in the main course. It seemed like he spent more time in the dinning hall than in the kitchen.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tonight This evening, my mum and I had a grand dinner, which she'd been really looking forward to.
We usually use "tonight" in advance to mean "today, but after about 7pm" or to refer to something that's going on at the time of speaking, such as "I'm having a great time tonight". It doesn't really work with the past simple.
I don't think "grand dinner" works. That sounds like you were at a formal dinner, where lots of people eat together in a grand hall or something. Perhaps you meant "posh/expensive".
I'd watched a few videos about dining etiquettes etiquette to prepare for that it because I was concerned I'd get something wrong, but my worries seemed unnecessary proved unfounded because they changed our cutlery for between every course.
You needed to mention the worries/concerns earlier in the sentence.
The food wasn't impressive at all.
That's a shame.
To be honest, it I was quite disappointed.
Use either "I was disappointed" or "It was disappointing".
Maybe it was because what we ordered wasn't their signature food. ?!
This isn't a question and it didn't require an exclamation mark.
One interesting thing I observed was that the chef are was required to come out for to every table to explain the ingredients in the main course.
Are you sure that he was required to that? Did someone make him do it? If so, who?
It seemed like he spent more time in the dinning hall than in the kitchen.
I actually like to see the chef coming out to see the guests. It's always interesting to see how the chef looks - are they clean and tidy, are they wearing the requisite chef's whites, do they look like they wash their hands regularly?
I think the chefs at upmarket restaurants are frequently quite visible. Sometimes, they're almost celebrities!

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are you sure that he was required to that? Did someone make him do it? If so, who?
I don’t know. Maybe the hotel or himself. :ROFLMAO:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo You probably know this already. Anyhow, no two people are ever going to agree on everything. What am I getting at? Well, maybe it's because I had read the previous posts about this. Anyhow, I rather like "grand dinner". There is one other minor disagreement.

As has already been pointed out, food can be disappointing, but it can't be disappointed. Food doesn't have any expectations. It's never disappointed.
😊