Diary - When I was a child, I had a relative as my pen pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

When I was a child, I had a relative as my pen pal. We wrote to each other once a month. One day, my mother suggested using email. At first, I thought that was a good idea, and then I asked my relative to do so. However, later, I didn't like using that anymore because we had gradually emailed each other lesser and finally we didn't contact anymore. Maybe receiving emails didn't make us as much looking forward to receiving a handwritten letter.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

When I was a child, I had a relative and I as my were pen pals. We wrote to each other once a month. One day, my mother suggested using email. At first, I thought that was a good idea, and then I asked my relative to do so the same.

However, later, I didn't like using that anymore because we had gradually emailed each other lesser and finally we didn't contact anymore.

Maybe we didn't look forward to receiving emails didn't make us as much as looking forward to receiving a handwritten letter.
You need to rewrite the entire sentence starting "However". I can't make sense of it.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
However, later, I didn't like using email anymore because we had gradually emailed each other fewer times. Finally we didn't contact anymore.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
However, later, I didn't like using email anymore because we had gradually emailed each other fewer times. Finally we didn't contact anymore.
How about replacing the underlined part with our exchange of emails fizzled out ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand that your contact became more sporadic and eventually stopped altogether but I don't think that warrants saying that you didn't like emailing anymore. By that point, it didn't matter whether you liked emailing or not - the contact was over. I think you're trying to convey some sort of cause and effect - the change of method of communication (from handwritten letters to email) gradually led to the ending of communication altogether. I don't think saying you didn't like emailing works. You could say that you were, in the long run, disappointed at the decision to swap to emails because it seems to have led to the end of your contact.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The switch to email didn't work out very well. We contacted each other less and less until we stopped communicating altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.