Diary - Yesterday, I was in heavy traffic on the way home.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, I was in heavy traffic on the way home. I stayed on a bus for almost two hours and I really wanted to pee. I thought of getting off the bus and took another transport but we were on the highway so it was impossible. After getting off the bus, I ran as fast as I could. Finally I made it to home.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, I was caught in heavy traffic (a traffic jam) while on a bus on the way home. I stayed on a the bus for almost two hours and I really wanted to pee. I thought of getting off the bus and took another mode of transport but we were on the highway, so it was impossible. After getting off the bus, I ran as fast as I could. Finally I made it to home.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo Try:

I thought of getting off the bus and catching a different one later.

Don't say you were considering using a different mode of transport unless you were thinking about using a taxi (for example).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yesterday, I was stuck on a bus for almost two hours in heavy traffic on the way home no full stop here I stayed on a bus for almost two hours and I really wanted needed to pee. I thought of getting off the bus and took taking another form of transport but we were on the highway so it was impossible. After getting off the bus, I ran home as fast as I could. Finally I made it to home. What a relief!
See above.

I don't see how getting off the bus and finding a different form of transport would have helped. It would probably have made your journey longer, making you even more uncomfortable.
I'm impressed you can run when desperate for a pee! 🤣
I deleted what was your final sentence because I needed to make an improvement there. However, note that that sentence wasn't grammatical anyway. It should have been "Finally, I made it home" (note the comma and that "at" is wrong before "home").

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say you were caught in heavy traffic it makes it seem like you the one driving, and, of course, you were not.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo They are going to throw a party for me when I reach 30,000 posts as Tarheel. You are, of course, invited.
😄

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Respectfully, could I ask you two to take your conversation over to Private Messages? I keep getting notifications that there are new posts to deal with in this thread and then they turn out not to be language-based at all. Thank you.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
When you say you were caught in heavy traffic it makes it seem like you the one driving, and, of course, you were not.
I agree that "stuck in heavy traffic" is better. Yes, "caught" seems to imply that one is navigating through the traffic, or maybe not.