Did learning English when I was little help me with relearning English later on in life?

Goa

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
South Africa
Here's a sample of my accent. English is not my mother tongue but I kind of grew up speaking it.
I was raised in a English speaking country before primary school but later went back to my home country for school, and stopped and basically forgot about how to speak English. I only moved back to the English speaking country and reacquired English when I was a teenager.

I still remember how easy it was to learn English as a kid. It only took me 2 weeks to pick up the language when I was 3 and attended kindergarten for the first time. It was much tougher to relearn English when I first got back at 14, however. At first I sounded exactly like a Chinese Malaysian (A less dramatic version of uncle Roger, basically), but as you can hear my accent has got water-downed quite a lot over the years.

I would like to ask how much had my childhood experienced helped when I tried to learn English again? Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Who on earth is Uncle Roger?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, the phrase is "watered down". Two, having learned it before probably helped quite a bit with learning it again. (It was already in your head waiting to come out.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Your English sounds excellent to me @Goa. There are slight traces of Chinese intonation but it's perfectly clear and perfectly compehensible.