difference between another and the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've always taught my students that the difference between another and the other is "another" has no boundary, while "the other" has a boundary.
I think "the other" 's the means unique, only one thing, the thing left, while another's an means one of many or unspecific.

For example,

One of the dogs is black, the other is white.(a certain group)
One dog is black, another is white, another is red,.....(no group)

Is it correct?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've always taught my students that the difference between another and the other is "another" has no boundary, while "the other" has a boundary.
I think "the other" 's the means unique, only one thing, the thing left, while another's an means one of many or unspecific.

For example,

Is it correct?

Just three points:

1- Do you start introducing "other" and "another" as pronouns or determiners? Perhaps presenting them first as determiners helps the students understand them as pronouns more easily.

2- I too think that "the other" has a boundry, ofcourse not the boundry of including only two items in a group.

3- though "another" has no boundry it moves in a slow pace! Each time it can refer to only one item.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

For example,

Is it correct?

The other means a specific one, the second member of a known pair, or if you prefer, a different one which we have already pointed out and are thinking about.

Another means one other but it doesn't matter which one.

youandcorey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
Yes, I think your answer is spot on!

Status
Not open for further replies.