Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Ostap77 is correct. In AmE learned is both the simple past and the past participle of learn. While learnt is a proper alternative for the past participle, we rarely hear it spoken.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Also (in Br English at least) 'learned' can be used as a two-syllable adjective that means 'educated' - 'a learnéd person' (the second syllable often has a written accent).

b

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
:up: Also (in Br English at least) 'learned' can be used as a two-syllable adjective that means 'educated' - 'a learnéd person' (the second syllable often has a written accent).

b
Yes. That pronunciation for the adjective is the same in the U.S. We had, during the second half of the 20th century, a famous and scholarly appeals court judge named Learned Hand.
I´ve never seen the written accent in AmE though.

halo666

Member Type
Student or Learner
hmmm.... thx for the answers. But what is AmE? Is it American spelling? So in summary...learned = American, learnt = British?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hmmm.... thx for the answers. But what is AmE? Is it American spelling? So in summary...learned = American, learnt = British?

AmE is American English - not just American spelling; also American syntax, American lexis and American phonology.

Your summary is an over-simplification that many people believe. As a British person who uses both 'learnt' and 'learned' I disagree. People have written something closer to the whole story in the foregoing posts. :)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We say learnt here.

4pawjess

Member Type
Other
I have always understood that there is a subtle difference:

"learned" is the past of the action of learning (e.g. Fred learned how to ride a bike)
"learnt" is the state that something (rather than someone) has been learned e.g. Mathematics was learnt.

The example with burned and burnt may be easier to explain:

The paper burned (i.e. it was on fire)
That piece of paper is burnt (i.e. the action of it being burned has caused it to be in a burnt state).

Happy to be told otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.