Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear teachers.
Could somebody tell me the difference between "argument" and "dispute"?
Which word is used more often in dialogues?
Thank you.

To me, an argument suggests a one-on-one, personal, real-time discussion. I have an arguement with my spouse over something that we are discussing right now. I will argue that with anyone.

Dispute is something more outstanding, permantent. Canada and Iceland have a dispute over who owns that island, in the Atlantic, that no one lives on.

I also would think "argument" implies an emotional confrontation, with raised voices. A "dispute" does not. I can dispute a charge on my credit card bill. I would get into an argument at the bar over who has the best football team.

(This is my impression of everyday use of the words. There are other cases, of course. Lawyers make "arguments" in court, but they are not screaming at each other.)

(This is my impression of everyday use of the words. There are other cases, of course. Lawyers make "arguments" in court, but they are not screaming at each other.)[/QUOTE]

Hi,

That is because the "arguments" made by lawyers have to do with "reason" rather than "quarrel":

argument - WordReference.com Dictionary of English (entry number 2)

Hope it helps.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back