Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is it better to say 1. "American English words and British English words have different spellings" instead of saying 2."American English words and British English words have difference in spelling"?
Or perhaps another way to say that would be "There is a difference in spelling between American (English words) and British English words."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Is it better to say 1. "American English words and British English words have different spellings" instead of saying 2."American English words and British English words have difference in spelling"?
Yes. Sentence 2 is incorrect. Pluralizing a noun would make it grammatical, and removing both instances of the word "words" would make it natural — but sentence 1 is closer to a clear and natural way to express the idea.
Or perhaps another way to say that would be "There is a difference in spelling between American (English words) and British English words."
Leave out "words" — what other aspect of a language do you spell? — and leave only the second instance of "English" and you'll have a natural sentence.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Leave out "words" — what other aspect of a language do you spell? — and leave only the second instance of "English" and you'll have a natural sentence.

"There is a difference in spelling between American and British English."

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes. Sentence 2 is incorrect. Pluralizing a noun would make it grammatical, and removing both instances of the word "words" would make it natural — but sentence 1 is closer to a clear and natural way to express the idea.

"American and British English have differences in spelling."
I pluralized "difference". But "different spellings" aren't wrong, are they? I mean "American and British English have different spellings."

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"American and British English have differences in spelling."
I pluralized "difference". But "different spellings" [STRIKE]aren't[/STRIKE] isn't wrong, [STRIKE]are they[/STRIKE] is it? I mean "American and British English have different spellings."
No, that's fine. Note my corrections above: the quotation is singular even though the words it contains are plural.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No, that's fine. Note my corrections above: the quotation is singular even though the words it contains are plural.

And
"There are differences in spelling between American and British English" is also correct. Right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You need to say "Some American English words and British English words have different spellings" and "There are some differences in spelling between American and British English".

There was no need to use quotation marks in your thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.