Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Here's an exercise with my answers:

Read the words and phrases in the box. What are their functions? Complete the table with the words and phrases.

adding more information​
contrasting with a previous point​
giving examples or explanations​

giving reasons​
concluding​
in addition​
on the other handto name one examplelargely thanks toin conclusion
as well as thisthat saidin particularbecause of thisultimately
on top of thathoweverby this I meanas suchØ

Source: Mindset for IELTS

I'm not sure if "as such" is in the right column. The other items I think are correct.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't see how as such fits in any column. The rest are fine.

What does the answer key say?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've found the following info online: "One definition of “as such” in The Oxford English Dictionary equates the phrase to “Accordingly, consequently, thereupon.” But it calls that usage “colloq. or vulgar.” Even so, people have been (mis)using “as such” in place of “therefore” for a long time."

Here's some more: "But, as Garner notes, some writers now use as such to mean simply thus or therefore. It's not hard to see why; in this example sentence, as such can easily be read as therefore with virtually no change in meaning: "She will become an icon; therefore, she will be a role model for years to come." In this example that I found on COHA, though, only the new therefore sense is possible: "But environmental groups contend the multiple authorizations were illegal because the city knew its operations at the course would imperil the species. As such, San Francisco must seek a long-term permit to manage the frog and snake populations, they say." Here, as such no longer functions as prepositional phrase with a pronoun referring to an earlier noun; it's simply a sort of transitional adverb connecting two sentences and indicating some sort of causation."

I think the threadstarter is right.

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's an example from thefreedictionary.com: 'You are new to this job, and as such, I will have to train you'. Here, too, we could use 'because of this' instead of 'as such', couldn't we?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Here's an exercise with my answers:

Read the words and phrases in the box. What are their functions? Complete the table with the words and phrases.

adding more information​
contrasting with a previous point​
giving examples or explanations​

giving reasons​
concluding​
in addition​
on the other handto name one examplelargely thanks toin conclusion
as well as thisthat saidin particularbecause of thisultimately
on top of thathoweverby this I meanas suchØ

Source: Mindset for IELTS

I'm not sure if "as such" is in the right column. The other items I think are correct.
It could come in both the 'giving reasons' box and the 'concluding' box.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's no answer key I'm afraid.
That doesn't sound like a very helpful book of exercises then! If there's no answer key, how are you going to know if any of your answers are correct?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In this example that I found on COHA, though, only the new therefore sense is possible: "But environmental groups contend the multiple authorizations were illegal because the city knew its operations at the course would imperil the species. As such, San Francisco must seek a long-term permit to manage the frog and snake populations, they say." Here, as such no longer functions as prepositional phrase with a pronoun referring to an earlier noun; it's simply a sort of transitional adverb connecting two sentences and indicating some sort of causation."

Interesting. It sounds quite wrong to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's an example from thefreedictionary.com: 'You are new to this job, and as such, I will have to train you'. Here, too, we could use 'because of this' instead of 'as such', couldn't we?

In this case I think perhaps there is a kind of referent of 'such' in the speaker's mind, where 'as such' comes to stand in for 'as a beginner' or 'being new'. What do you think?

Many misuses (?) of 'as such' seem to be when the speaker is co-referring to an idea expressed by an adjective rather than a noun phrase. So in the example sentence above, such = new. Perhaps one can read the San Francisco sentence like that too, where such = illegal.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm starting to suspect now that 'as such' was meant to be 'such as', to go in the 'giving examples' column.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
This is from
I'm starting to suspect now that 'as such' was meant to be 'such as', to go in the 'giving examples' column.
This is from the same reference:
as such: because somebody/something is what it is: The government is the main contributor and, as such, controls the project.
I assume that we can use it to give a reason when we correctly use it instead of therefore. What do you think?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Mike MC You could look at it as: "because they are the main contributor" but "as such" is easier to say or type.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
as such: because somebody/something is what it is: The government is the main contributor and, as such, controls the project.
The use of "as such" is used to avoid the repetition of the preceding noun. If it wasn't used, it would have to say:

The government is the main contributor and, as the main contributor, controls the project.

Here's another example. I belong to a tennis club and my membership allows me to book courts for less than the public price.

I'm a member of my local tennis club and, as such, I can book courts at a reduced rate.
I'm a member of my local tennis club and, as a member [of my local tennis club], I can book courts at a reduced rate.

I'm sure you'll agree that the first sentence is much less wordy than the second.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

That link takes me to a dictionary.

You quoted the exercise as being from Mindset for IELTS. Which level and which page?

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Last edited:

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
The 'giving examples' column is already full.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't access the online modules where I am right now but I have the coursebook in front of me. The discourse markers presented there in Unit 2 include 'such as', for giving examples. The section does not make any mention of 'as such'. My conclusion is it's an error on the part of the online resources developers, and it was always meant to be 'such as'.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I don't think so because it's used in the next exercise. Now I'm more confused and not sure about my answers:

Choose the correct words and phrases to complete the sentences.

A recent study has found that there are numerous factors that can reduce your life expectancy. These include not exercising, not eating enough fruit and vegetables and, in particular/largely thanks to, smoking. By this I mean/That said, you can do something to correct these and other unhealthy habits.

As such/On the other hand, you need to change your lifestyle. As such/By this I mean don’t overeat, start walking for 30 minutes a day and spend less time looking at a screen. As well as/Largely thanks to this, try to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

By this I mean/Ultimately, research shows that you are at greater risk of depression without a strong network of friends and family. As such/Because of this, work hard at ensuring that you maintain regular contact with all your loved ones.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
**A recent study found that there are numerous factors that can reduce your life expectancy. They include not exercising, not eating enough fruits and vegetables, and smoking.

Use "in particular" if you need a filler there. (You don't.) Most of those fillers are worse than unnecessary.

Last edited: