Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My friend is learning english and he started using english while speaking. He asked me "do you fine?". i controlled my laughter. i didnt correct him either. " Are you fine?" is correct but "Do you fine?" is wrong. Since i dont know how to explain why "Do you fine?" is wrong i couldnt correct him either.

Can anybody explain why "Do you fine?" is wrong?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My friend is learning English and he has started using English while speaking. He asked me "Do you fine?" (no full stop here) I controlled my laughter. I didn't correct him either. "Are you fine?" is correct but "Do you fine?" is wrong. Since I don't know how to explain why "Do you fine?" is wrong, I couldn't correct him. [strike]either.[/strike]

Can anybody explain why "Do you fine?" is wrong?

First, please note my corrections above. You must capitalise the first letter of every sentence (including sentences enclosed in quotation marks), the word "I" and proper nouns.

"Do you fine?" is wrong because "Do you" needs to be followed by a verb. It can't be followed by an adjective.

Do you eat eggs?
Do you like my dress?
Do you have a dog?
Do you want a coffee?

Note that "Are you fine?", while grammatically correct, is unnatural. We might ask someone "Are you OK?" or "Are you well?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If your friend were talking to a judge and wanted to know whether they fined people, their question would work better as it would make fine a verb, but adjectives don't usually take the auxiliary verb do.

Status
Not open for further replies.