Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We say "do you have any money on you". Am I correct?

Does the same go if we are talking about other things like an id card? Do we say "do you have an id on you" or "do you have an id card on you"? Can we also say "do you have an id with you"?

Can "with" be used if we are talking about money?

We say "Do you have any money on you?" no full stop here Am I correct? Yes.

Does the same go [STRIKE]if we are[/STRIKE] for talking about other things like an ID card? It can.

Do we say "Do you have any ID on you?" or "Do you have an ID card on you?"? Both are possible.

Can we also say "Do you have an ID with you?"? No. "An ID" doesn't work.

Can "with" be used if we are talking about money? If you're talking about replacing "on" with "with" in the first sentence, yes.

Please note my corrections above. I know we have told you before that you must capitalise "ID", and you have been here long enough to know that you must use a capital letter at the start of every sentence (including a sentence inside quotation marks), and that if you quote a question, the question mark goes inside the quotation marks.

There is a difference between "[any] ID" and "an ID card". An ID card is a specific thing. "ID" could be all sorts of things - a passport, a driving licence, a utility bill, a bank statement and many other things.

We say "do you have any money on you". Am I correct? Yes.

Does the same go if we are talking about other things like an id card? Do we say "do you have an id on you" Yes.or "do you have an id card on you"? Yes.Can we also say "do you have an id with you"?Yes.

Can "with" be used if we are talking about money? Yes.

All possible/used in the U.S.

I don't have any problem with the use of "an ID" in AmE.

We've stumbled on another BrE/AmE difference then.

All possible/used in the U.S.

I don't have any problem with the use of "an ID" in AmE.

Still, it would be better to use ID as an uncountable noun, right?

1) Can I see some ID? :tick:
2) Can I see an ID? :cross:

Or do you mean that sentence 2 is okay in AmE?

2) Can I see an ID? :cross:

Or do you mean that sentence 2 is okay in AmE? I don't think many or any would do a double-take.
Y

2) Can I see an ID? :cross: BrE :tick:AmE

Or do you mean that sentence 2 is okay in AmE?

Yes, I hear and use both. Another common variant is "Do you have any ID/have any ID on you?"

We've been telling tufguy that for years. :-(

Please note my corrections above. I know we have told you before that you must capitalise "ID", and you have been here long enough to know that you must use a capital letter at the start of every sentence (including a sentence inside quotation marks), and that if you quote a question, the question mark goes inside the quotation marks.

There is a difference between "[any] ID" and "an ID card". An ID card is a specific thing. "ID" could be all sorts of things - a passport, a driving licence, a utility bill, a bank statement and many other things.

Sorry, I am extremely sorry for this but I am confused between "id" and "ID". I am sorry. I thought about it before posting however, I got confused and thought that "id" was correct?

I got confused and thought that "id" was correct. [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]
See above.

Think of "ID" as an abbreviation for identification document. In Freudian psychology, the id is one of three key components of a person's personality.

Think of "ID" as an abbreviation for identification document.

Ah, that's interesting. I've never thought of it like that. For me, and I think for most Brits, it's just an abbreviation for the uncountable noun 'identification'.

This explains the supposed British/American difference as to the acceptability of countable 'an ID' where I'd expect to hear 'some ID'. Your, and Yankee's, and Skrej's comments in the other thread make much more sense to me now.

Ah, that's interesting. I've never thought of it like that. For me, and I think for most Brits, it's just an abbreviation for the uncountable noun 'identification'.

This explains the supposed British/American difference as to the acceptability of countable 'an ID' where I'd expect to hear 'some ID'. Your, and Yankee's, and Skrej's comments in the other thread make much more sense to me now.
You may be reading too much into my comment. I recommended that interpretation as a way to reinforce the capitalization rule. I don't think it's generally understood that way by Americans.

When we say "an ID", I'd say we're thinking of something like "an ID card".

I agree that it might help learners (or at least tufguy) to think of it as an initialism of Identity/Identification Document (even though it isn't). It's a shortened form of "identification". That's why it doesn't work with the indefinite article. If we use the full word "identification" in the same sentences, you can see why it doesn't work.

Can you show me some identification? :tick:
Can you show me an identification? :cross:

Have you brought any identification? :tick:
Have you brought an identification? :cross:

I didn't show my identification when I arrived. :tick:
I didn't show an identification when I arrived. :cross:

Last edited:
I agree with Goes in post #15. There is some evidence in dictionaries as well to support the idea that 'ID=ID card/document', as well as just an abbreviation for 'identification'. It seems to be uniquely AmE in the former sense.

Free Dictionary 1st entry
Cambridge entry 6 (I think, they're not numbered)
Collins entry #4 definition 2(marked US only) (note entry 4 definition 1 lists it as abbreviation for 'identification')
Webster entry #3
Macmillian (which lists it as both countable and uncountable)

I can't find another source at the moment to verify, but Wikipedia states that ID can be both an abbreviation for 'identification' and an acronym for 'identity document'. We all know Wikipedia can be a little suspect though at times.

The head entry in Collins lists it as a variable noun:

If you have ID or an ID, you are carrying a document such as an identity card or driver's license that tells who you are.

I'm mildly surprised to hear this coming from a 'British' dictionary. I'm more surprised to see it employ an American spelling variant of the noun licence!

We all know Wikipedia can be a little suspect though at times.

Wikipedia's expressly stated aim is not to publish what is true and correct, but rather what most people believe, even if that happens to be wrong.

I am not a teacher.

I think it depends on where you are.
If you have a national identity card of a country, I think they usually refer ID to ID card.
Alternatively, if they don't issue identity cards, they refer ID to any identity documents (Driver license, passport, student card, healthcare card, senior card, and so on).
Some people call it a "photo ID".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back