Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A student in my ESL writing class recently began his paper in a way I found interesting from a semantic standpoint:

1) Do you know that many students have trouble with online learning?

The topic of his paper was online learning, and he began with the above sentence as a "hook." In his mind, I think, "Do you know that . . ." was equivalent to "Are you aware that . . .":

2) Are you aware that many students have trouble with online learning?

In my experience as a native speaker, (1) and (2) are not equivalent. Indeed, (1) sounds very weird to me in the present tense. I explained to the student that it would be more natural for a native speaker to use "Did you know that . . ." in (1), or to use "Are you aware that . . . ." I think that I only use "Do you know that . . ." sentences when stressing "know," as if to say, "Are you absolutely certain that . . . ?"

Does this harmonize with the sensibilities of other native speakers here?

Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you said, it's a hook. It's trying to engage the reader. I don't have a problem with using the present tense there.

Why are you OK with "are you aware"? Shouldn't you want that to be "Were you aware"?

I read 2 as a fancier, more formal way of saying 1.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you said, it's a hook. It's trying to engage the reader. I don't have a problem with using the present tense there.

Why are you OK with "are you aware"? Shouldn't you want that to be "Were you aware"?

I read 2 as a fancier, more formal way of saying 1.
Thanks, Dave. I’m sure my student would find that soothing. As for me, I definitely find the sentence with “Do you know that . . . ?” extremely awkward (without heavy stress on “know”), and I’m trying to put my finger on why.

Let’s change the example for the sake of variety. I’d have no problem with “Do you know which president signed the Emancipation Proclamation?” There, the object of “know” is an embedded question. I do have a problem with this (absent special stress on “know” in a special context warranting it).

“Do you know that Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation?”

Do you like that sentence too?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see it as an error, where he should have said Did you know ... ? Definitely one for correction.

Is he East Asian, by any chance? Or Turkish?

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see it as an error, where he should have said Did you know ... ? Definitely one for correction.

Is he East Asian, by any chance? Or Turkish?
Thanks, Jutfrank! I was starting to try to convince myself that it was OK. :)

The student is Russian.

Incidentally, I realized that I find the present-tense version perfectly fine if it's a negative question:

"Don't you know that Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation?" / "Don't you know that many students have trouble with online learning?"

maheshbabu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Not a teacher

You can also use Do you know that How much mangoes on tree?
or
How much best football players in world?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

You can also use:

Do you know that how much mangoes on tree? ❌
or
2. How much best football players in world? ❌
Welcome to the forum, @maheshbabu.

Both of your sentences are grammatically incorrect and neither make sense. Note that you must add "Not a teacher" to all your responses if you're trying to help another learner. Given that you're clearly a beginner yourself, I recommend you post your own questions rather than trying to answer other users' questions.
I have removed your unauthorised hyperlink.