Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

I hope my thread won't be closed this time. There are four questions but in each of them I am asking about the use of 'would you like', 'want', 'do you like?' Which form is the most appropriate in each of them? I was going to edit the previous one and explain what I was asking about.

1. Please, take me to the Japanese Embassy. Where do you like to go? Where do you want to go? Where would you like to go?

2. I would like a return ticket, please. Would you like a return ticket? Do you want a return ticket?

I would like my wake-up call at six o'clock. What time would you like your wake-up call? When do you want your wake-up call?

I would like to pay by credit card. How would you like to pay? How do you want to pay?

Last edited:
Hello.

I hope my thread won't be closed this time. There are four questions but in each of them I am asking about the use of 'would you like', 'want', 'do you like?' Which form is the most appropriate in each of them? I was going to edit the previous one and explain what I was asking about.

1. Please, take me to the Japanese Embassy. Where do you like to go? Where do you want to go? Where would you like to go?

2. I would like a return ticket, please. Would you like a return ticket? Do you want a return ticket?

I would like my wake-up call at six o'clock. What time would you like your wake-up call? When do you want your wake-up call?

I would like to pay by credit card. How would you like to pay? How do you want to pay?

You need to tell us which you think is correct first.

You need to tell us which you think is correct first.

I would use the sentences with 'would'. The other sentences probably except 'where do you like to go?' are not polite. I am not sure I am right.

I would use the sentences with 'would'. (Me too)The other sentences probably except 'where do you like to go? (Me too.)' are not polite (Not sure "polite" is the proper term. I think it would sound like a general question about all places you like.) I am not sure I am right.
Y

Remember that would like means want, not like.

For that reason, Where do you like to go? does not make sense in the context.

Remember that would like means want, not like.

For that reason, Where do you like to go? does not make sense in the context.

With either 'what time?' 'at what time?' or 'when' would there be any difference in meaning? In the third sentence.

No, they would all ask the same question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back