Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Case 3" was a written statement. It isn't going to change so I'd use the simple present.

In Case 3, the speaker says "What did ... ?"

Could you tell me why you use "was "? How about "is"?

I have a question. :)

In this case,
a. Could you tell me why you use "was"?
b. Could you tell me why you used "was"?
c. Could you tell me why you are using "was"?
d.
Could you tell me why you were using "was"?
e. Could you tell me why you have used "was"?

Which one would you use (and why)?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In this case,
a. Could you tell me why you use "was "?
b. Could you tell me why you used "was "?
c. Could you tell me why you are using "was "?
d.
Could you tell me why you were using "was "?
e. Could you tell me why you have used "was "?

Use B because you're asking why ems did something in the past. Use A if the context establishes that you're asking about a repeated, habitual act.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to remove the space between "was" and the closing quotation mark in all of them.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

In this case,
a. Could you tell me why you use "was"?
b. Could you tell me why you used "was"?
c. Could you tell me why you are using "was"?
d. Could you tell me why you were using "was"?
e. Could you tell me why you have used "was"?

Use B because you're asking why ems did something in the past. Use A if the context establishes that you're asking about a repeated, habitual act.

Thank you, GoesStation. :)

Could you tell me why in your reply you used "Use B because you're asking ..." (rather than "Use B because you asked ...")?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Could you tell me why in your reply you used "Use B because you're asking ..." (rather than "Use B because you asked ...")?
My use of the present simple continuous shows that I was imagining you performing the action at about the same time as I was writing the question. This is natural because you would be responding to my imperative statement: "Use B [right now] because [right now] you're asking ...."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
kadioguy, are you going to question the use of every tense in every response we post?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
My use of the present simple continuous shows that I was imagining you performing the action at about the same time as I was writing the question. This is natural because you would be responding to my imperative statement: "Use B [right now] because [right now] you're asking ...."
I don't understand this part. Why did you say that I would be responding to your imperative statement? What does this mean? (The final question)

kadioguy, are you going to question the use of every tense in every response we post?
I meant no offence. The verb tense is hard for a native Chinese speaker to understand. OK, I won't ask any new questions about verb tense in the thread. :oops:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I don't understand this part. Why did you say that I would be responding to your imperative statement? What does this mean?
I started by telling you to use B. Using the imperative means that I want you to use B right now or habitually. I went on to explain why: "because you're asking" something. When are you asking it? Right now, or immediately after I told you to. You are in the process of asking something; I express the ongoing nature of your action by using the continuous tense.

I think it's worthwhile to explore the logic of speakers' choices of tenses, but in the end, you will grasp it completely only after long-term, frequent exposure. Read, watch films, and watch extemporaneous speech and you'll gradually come to feel why speakers choose the tenses they do. There are many cases where more than one tense is possible.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think I didn't really understand the blue part. Does it mean "I (GoesStation) was replying the question"? (I.e. you were replying my question in post #25.)(I am not sure whether "writing the question" means "asking the question" or "answering the question".)

I started by telling you to use B. Using the imperative means that I want you to use B right now or habitually. I went on to explain why: "because you're asking" something. When are you asking it? Right now, or immediately after I told you to. You are in the process of asking something; I express the ongoing nature of your action by using the continuous tense.
I don't understand this part. My asking is in post #24, which is before your post (#25), so why did you say " ... immediately after I told you to"?

I think it's worthwhile to explore the logic of speakers' choices of tenses, but in the end, you will grasp it completely only after long-term, frequent exposure. Read, watch films, and watch extemporaneous speech and you'll gradually come to feel why speakers choose the tenses they do. There are many cases where more than one tense is possible.
Thank, you. I see. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I didn't really understand the blue part. Does it mean "I (GoesStation) was replying the question"? (I.e. you were replying my question in post #25.)(I am not sure whether "writing the question" means "asking the question" or "answering the question".)
I made a mistake. I meant to write "writing my response".

I don't understand this part. My asking is in post #24, which is before your post (#25), so why did you say " ... immediately after I told you to"?
I was projecting into the near future. I meant that you would be writing after I had asked you to do so.

Can we put this thread to rest now?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
This is natural because you would be responding to my imperative statement: "Use B [right now] because [right now] you're asking ...."
When are you asking it? Right now, or immediately after I told you to.
I was projecting into the near future. I meant that you would be writing after I had asked you to do so.
Thank you, GoesStation. :)

I think I finally got it. You mean something like, after I accept your suggestion, I will be using option B next time, or I should take this step further and use it in post #16 right now.

Can we put this thread to rest now?
Yes. Please forgive my poor English. :oops:

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Case 2
Tom: Perhaps we should try another approach.
Bob: What do/did you mean?
Yes. Only do is appropriate here. Both Tom and Bob are presently engaged in the conversation. Compare this to Case 1, where the two speakers are not presently engaged in a conversation until Bob responds. I do think though that the present tense Do is more likely in Case 1 because, from the moment of Bob's response, they begin to be presently engaged.

Related side point: Can you see how the sense of
mean is different from in Case 1? It does not mean 'refer to'. (Well, what Bob means is not obvious from this. In fact, he could mean What are you referring to? but I imagine a paraphrase of Bob's response as: Please expand on what you just said.)

Pardon me, but I don't understand the red part. :-?

It does not mean 'refer to. ... In fact, he could mean What are you referring to?

Aren't they (the words in bold) the same word and don't they have the same meaning?

(I didn't mean to bother or offend members who help me. please trust me.)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please look up the phrasal verb to put something to rest.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Case 2
Tom: Perhaps we should try another approach.
Related side point: Can you see how the sense of mean is different from in Case 1? It does not mean 'refer to'. (Well, what Bob means is not obvious from this. In fact, he could mean What are you referring to? but I imagine a paraphrase of Bob's response as: Please expand on what you just said.)
Pardon me, but I don't understand the red part.

It does not mean 'refer to. ... In fact, he could mean What are you referring to?

Aren't they (the words in bold) the same word and don't they have the same meaning?

Now I think what jutfrank means is this:

Here, "mean" in the sentence meaning does not mean "refer to" (I think it means "to have something in your mind as a purpose or goal"), but in fact "mean" in the speaker meaning could mean "What are you referring to?"

(I cross-posted with GoesStation)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please look up the phrasal verb to put something to rest.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here, "mean" in the sentence meaning does not mean "refer to" (I think it means "to have something in your mind as a purpose or goal"), but in fact "mean" in the speaker meaning could mean "What are you referring to?"

That's right. Now let's move on, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.