Do you think your film was very good? No,_______, but it was chosen...competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewedfrost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Do you think your film was very good? No,_______, but it was chosen for the competition.

Hello! I allow myself to ask for your suggestion, even though I've already looked for some information online.
I have to fill in the blank. I'd put a short answer as in (A), but I'm wondering if the comma before "but" is correct. I also think that I could put a complete answer as in (B); in this case, I'd leave the comma.

A) Do you think your film was very good? No,it wasn't. But it was chosen for the competition.
B) Do you think your film was very good? No,it wasn't very good, but it was chosen for the competition.

Is my reasoning completely wrong? Is the comma acceptable in both cases (A and B)?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Leave the comma in, but change 'No, it wasn't' to 'No, I don't'.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I allow myself to ask for your suggestion, even though I've already looked for some information online.
You should have told us that you asked your question here, and received several useful answers.

We recommend posting a question on one forum only initially. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from that forum and you feel that you have exhausted its possibilities, then of course trying a different forum might help. It is only courteous however, to tell the second forum that you have already asked the question on another forum and then give a precis of the answers you received there, or provide a link to it, along with an explanation of why you are now looking elsewhere.
(emsr2d2)

Last edited:

dewedfrost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I thank both you and the other forum for the information given to. I apologise myself in case I seemed rude to you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thank both you and the other forum for the information. [STRIKE]given to.[/STRIKE] I apologise [STRIKE][STRIKE]myself in case[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] if I seemed rude. [STRIKE]to you.[/STRIKE]

Note my corrections above. Posting on different forums and not making that clear isn't rude as such, but it does risk the members of at least one of the forums wasting their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.