Does it mean something like in the sentence. . . vs. Does it mean anything like in the sentence. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Here is the question from my last thread:

What do you take "want" to mean there? Does it mean something like in the sentence She always wanted a large family, or does it mean something like in We'll want more furniture for the new office?

Is this question grammatically correct? Don't I have to say Does it mean anything like in the sentence. . . ? Can I say "Does it mean something /anything like in the sentence . . ." or do I have to say "Does it mean something/anything like want in the sentence She always wanted a large family" ?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What do you take 'want' to mean there? Does it mean something like [what it means] in the sentence She always wanted a large family, or does it mean something like [what it means] in We'll want more furniture for the new office?

I think it's just about okay. The bits I've added in brackets are understood without having to be said.

Don't I have to say Does it mean anything like in the sentence. . . ?

No. Use 'something like'.

Can I say "Does it mean something /anything like in the sentence . . ." , or do I have to say "Does it mean something/anything like want in the sentence She always wanted a large family" ?

See my comment above.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Here is the question from of my last thread:
What do you take "want" to mean there? Does it mean something like in the sentence She always wanted a large family, or does it mean something like in We'll want more furniture for the new office?
Your phrasing is possible but perhaps a little too long.
Does it have the same meaning as in "She always wanted a large family", or as in "We'll want more furniture for the new office"?
Does it mean "desire" or does it mean "need"?

Status
Not open for further replies.