Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Can you let me know the right definition for the verb "drag" in the dictionary?

West Ham 1-0 Aston Villa (45+3 mins)
Villa are slowly passing the ball around midfield. They suddenly burst forward but Ollie Watkins drags wide from a fair distance out.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It means he missed the goal by putting it wide of the post opposite to the foot he shot with, so that the ball went across the face of goal. In this case, since Ollie is right-footed, it means his shot went left, from an attacking perspective.

Are you actually watching these games? You're not going to learn this kind of vocab if you can't see what the commentary means. You won't find much football vocabulary in a dictionary.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Well, I have looked it up in the Cambridge dictionary and Collins dictionary. Can you help me find the meaning in the dictionary?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You won't find a sense specific enough in any dictionary, so I wouldn't bother trying.

Start with the core sense of the word, which you can find in any good dictionary (for example, the first entry in Collins), and try your best to apply that basic meaning to what you see. You associate what you see with the words that describe it. That's how you'll learn. You need to see the movement of the ball, relative to the player and the goal, and ideally also look at the way Watkins' foot made the wrong kind of contact and how that caused the ball to move as it did.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I have looked it up in the Cambridge dictionary and Collins dictionary. Can you help me find the meaning in the dictionary?
You still haven't answered jutfrank's question - are you watching the match alongside the commentary?