Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello,

I am reading an article in a newspaper called Real Estate News about drywall. I am getting confused because it talks on Chinese drywall (Do not have a bad interpretation, my purpose is not to say that Chinese products are low quality), I looked in a dictionary but I am still stuck, I do not know in what kind of sort these wall are made.

Nonetheless I am sure that a samaritan can help me to find a way which will permit myself to comprehend better this extract.

Thanks a lot (Do not hesitate to correct me).

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

I am reading an article in a newspaper called Real Estate News about drywall. I am getting confused because it talks on Chinese drywall (Do not have a bad interpretation, my purpose is not to say that Chinese products are low quality), I looked in a dictionary but I am still stuck, I do not know in what kind of sort these wall are made.

Nonetheless I am sure that a samaritan can help me to find a way which will permit myself to comprehend better this extract.

Thanks a lot (Do not hesitate to correct me).

Maybe this can help you: 2009 Chinese drywall controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends what is used- cement is often used as a term.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are they related somehow? I guess not.

Not at all. The non sequitur only occurred to me because they sound similar. And, as I believe the Great Wall of Chine was made without mortar, I misinterpreted 'Chinese drywall' completely until I followed the link! :oops: ;-)

b

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Not at all. The non sequitur only occurred to me because they sound similar. And, as I believe the Great Wall of Chine was made without mortar, I misinterpreted 'Chinese drywall' completely until I followed the link! :oops: ;-)

b

Oh! I see, I'm sorry my link confused you..I seem to confuse people quite a lot these days :-D.

Last edited:

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It depends what is used- cement is often used as a term.

But I guess they are not the same. Aren't they? I guess "mortar" has to be a mixture of something.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh! I see, I'm sorry my link confused you..I seem to confuse people quite a lot those days :-D.

Not at all - it didn't confuse me, it showed me my mistake. And I hoped I could warn others against it - I probably did more harm than good though!

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But I guess they are not the same. Aren't they? I guess "mortar" has to be a mixture of something.

:up: Typically, mortar used for everyday bricklaying is mixed from sand, cement, plasticizer [no idea what this does, but builders use it], and water.

b

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
:up: Typically, mortar used for everyday bricklaying is mixed from sand, cement, plasticizer [no idea what this does, but builders use it], and water.

b

Hello teacher,

I know now what is drywall. I understand well the difference between the cement and the mortar.

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.