Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Chimps, Humans 96 Percent the Same, Gene Study Finds
"If genetic code is a book, what we found is that entire pages of the book duplicated in one species but not the other," said Eichler. "This gives us some insight into the genetic diversity that's going on between chimp and human and identifies regions that contain genes that have undergone very rapid genomic changes."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...tist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
Source: National Geographic

I am not able to understand the meaning of "duplicated in one species but not the other" clearly. Does it mean "duplicated in humans but not chimps" or "duplicated in chimps but not humans"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Chimps, Humans 96 Percent the Same, Gene Study Finds
"If genetic code is a book, what we found is that entire pages of the book duplicated in one species but not the other," said Eichler. "This gives us some insight into the genetic diversity that's going on between chimp and human and identifies regions that contain genes that have undergone very rapid genomic changes."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/chimps-humans-96-percent-the-same-gene-study-finds#:~:text=Scientists have sequenced the genome of the chimpanzee,primate scientist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
Source: National Geographic

I am not able to understand the meaning of "duplicated in one species but not the other" clearly. Does it mean "duplicated in humans but not chimps" or "duplicated in chimps but not humans"?
I would say that there is an "are" missing before "duplicated".
From the part that you have quoted, it is not clear to me exactly what the author means. It would, I think, be necessary to read the whole article.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either one.

(I'm sure you thought you could understand the answer or you wouldn't have asked the question.)

Status
Not open for further replies.