Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Which word combination is correct (and why?) for a student who finishes a 4-year programe/course of economics:

economic or economics technician

Thank you.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The student just has a degree or diploma in economics. If it's a degree, you could call him an economics graduate (not "economic").

A technician is a job title. You don't become a technician just because you've done a course.

Also, I've never heard "economics" used with "technician" before. To me a technician is someone who works with gadgets and machines and technology.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why do people keep asking "why" questions?

I promise you I won't ask you why you asked the question if you won't ask me why the answer to your question is the answer to your question. (The answer is always the same. It's the right answer.)

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia

I promise you I won't ask you why you asked the question if you won't ask me why the answer to your question is the answer to your question. (The answer is always the same. It's the right answer.)
I was hoping for the explanation not just the right answer.

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
The student just has a degree or diploma in economics. If it's a degree, you could call him an economics graduate (not "economic").

A technician is a job title. You don't become a technician just because you've done a course.

Also, I've never heard "economics" used with "technician" before. To me a technician is someone who works with gadgets and machines and technology.
I actually agree with the explanation of the word technician. We have a problem with the translation, because our school system is different.
A graduate is someone who finishes a college or faculty, but what I am talking about is a 4-year programme in a vocational secondary school (15-18 yrs old). When they finish this programme called Economics, they can study economics on a higher level; higher education and then graduate from economics. We use the expression 'technician' tehnik (Slovenian word )for the first level, which is probably not ok (as I suspected and as can be seen from your answer). In Slovenian TEHNIK means that s.o. has finished a 4-year programme or course as you call it, no matter which field. If it's not correct to use the word technician with 'untechnical fields, I need another expression. I'm open to suggestions. Besides, it should be short (no more than two words) as it is a kind of title used on various forms (certificates, applications, etc.)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Probably because they're looking for an explanation, not just an answer. I view it as a positive thing, because hopefully then they can apply the knowledge going forward and not have to ask again later. 'Why' seems like a fair question to me in all honesty.

(cross-posted)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Probably because they're looking for an explanation, not just an answer. I view it as a positive thing, because hopefully then they can apply the knowledge going forward and not have to ask again later. 'Why' seems like a fair question to me in all honesty.

(cross-posted)
I think if they need to know the why of something they can -- and probably should -- figure it out for themselves.

Others may disagree.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was hoping for AN explanation not just the right answer.
It's impossible to know what that means. Do you want to know why a person is called an economist and not something else? Do you want to know why the term "economics technician" isn't used?

If I was going to try to answer that question for somebody I would have to do the research just as if it was my question. I would be doing the work the other person didn't want to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Economic technician" and "Economics technician" don't exist in English (in British English, at least). As you've already been told, someone who has done a degree in economics is simply an "economics graduate". That wouldn't be put on a certificate. It could be used in covering letters and job applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"economic technician" is possible. It means a technician who is economic (efficient/not wasteful of resources) in his/her job.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
If it's not correct to use the word technician with 'untechnical fields, I need another expression. I'm open to suggestions. Besides, it should be short (no more than two words) as it is a kind of title used on various forms (certificates, applications, etc.)
I would say he's completed a vocational course in economics.* I don't think there's a single word for such a person.

The reason "economics" is also used as an adjective in this context is that "economic" has a different meaning--someone who is economical.

*Edit: Or perhaps "economics vocational certificate-holder".

Last edited: